Murray select riding mower

Smurfy76

Threads
Hey guys, so first time posting here. So I have some engine knowledge mostly cars though. But my riding mower had stopped running. It would spin bit not fully crank. So I adjusted the valves changed the magneto and spark plug since it was not sparking and behold it started. But it was running rough. I took it for a test drive and of itself engage the blades it will almost kill the engine. I put it on high and vr than it did kill the engine. I just ordered a new carb as it was cheap and figured why not but was wondering if anyone had some thoughts. It doesn't have a fuel pump.

MowLife

Threads
I would think a dirty or bad carb. Since your getting a new one. As long as you have compression and all the new parts...should run fine. Check air filter and replace fuel filter while your at it.

Smurfy76

Threads
Air and fuel filter are new. The carb is the last thing I can think of.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get 4' of copper wire and put a 1/4" female spade terminal on it.
Remove the kill wire from the magneto and put your wire on it.
Strip about 1/2" of the insulation off your end then go mow.
You will need to ground that wire to turn off the engine so keep it handy.
Problem goes away = short in the wiring / defective safety switch.

The other biggie is the fuel shut off solenoid under the carb.
It can be loosing power or ground for 2 wire solenoids.

Don't throw out the old magneto becaus if you had a wiring problem it will still be good.

Smurfy76

Threads
Ty for the suggestion but the magneto was dead. I tested the spark plug and it had no spark. Since the change it now has spark. It is something fuel related. I still believe it's the carb
So I will post a update once I get it in and Installed. The mowers safety switches were disabled.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check for spark with the kill wire disconnected ?

Smurfy76

Threads
So I got the carb installed and she is running like a champion again. So I finally got to mow my lawn which if u live in Florida imagine a month and a half of grass growing. But she plowed right through it like nothing. She is having the occasional backfire through the carb but I think I have the wrong gapping on the valves. I set them at .05 and I think it should be .07 but other than she's running again.