Electronic Clutch Dis-Engages-- Need Help

vern66

Threads
Re: Electronic Clutch Dis-Engages-- FINAL CONCLUSION

Good tip Bert....

Nice thing about all the electro-magnetic clutches is, most aren't rebuildable.

The several replies that referred to the PTO Switch potentially being the main source of the problem were completely correct in their Diagnostics and Opinion.

Today, I disconnected the connection from the wiring harness to the 2 wires that goes to the PTO Clutch. I Used an in-line fuse in the positive line in the revised wiring directly from the positive battery terminal through a Toggle Switch to the PYO Clutch positive wire. Installed the ground wire to chassis.

Then, I gave the mower a test drive of leaf mulching for a period of 30 minutes (or more) and the PTO Clutch did NOT disconnect (turn off) even one time. Therefore, this is enough evidence (for me) to place the main original problem as being the PTO Switch.

This (modified wiring) of course does NOT require the ON/OFF switch to be ON in order to engage the PTO just by flipping the toggle switch ON. So, I plan to order a new PTO Switch and replace the defective switch and return the wiring to the original connection with the wiring Harness. I will (of course) keep the modified wiring and switch in case if needed in the future.

Thanks again to all that commented to help.

My Regards, Vern....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you got a result Vern.
Electrics seem to frighten most but you sound like you know your way round smoke.
Take your old switch with you when you get the new one if you can.
There is around 6 different variations, ignoring the colour of the switch itself which is just brand specific.
If the new switch has the same number & layout of pins it should be good but care must be taken.
Most of the wires are ground wires that go to the magneto so if it gets accidentally connect to battery power for the briefest period of time the magnetos will be fried.
On most the first 2 pair do all the work ( cranking & PTO switching ) & the rest are safety circuit ground wires

Padroo

Threads
That is good news. You got 11 years out of that switch. I had to replace the one on my 14 year old TORO several years back and it's probably ready for another one. I think I got it from Amazon.
I always go to the parts manual and order it by that part number that is listed.

vern66

Threads
That is good news. You got 11 years out of that switch. I had to replace the one on my 14 year old TORO several years back and it's probably ready for another one. I think I got it from Amazon.
I always go to the parts manual and order it by that part number that is listed.

I received and installed the new PTO Switch and unfortunately I have the same issue of the PTO Clutch dis-engaging.
So, I have decided to use the revised wiring as explained in a previous post that works perfectly without the dis-engaging problem.
However, instead of using the 12 volts direct from the battery (through a fuse) I will find a "hot 12 volt" source that is operational only after the Switch Key is turned on. The temporary "direct" wiring of course could accidently be activated with power to the clutch which is not desirable.

Thanks to all..... Vern....