Engine 60" Zero Turn 29 hp Kawasaki

callcoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
My wife's 60" mower [ she doesn't let me use it] has lost power when engaging the blades and or trying to climb a hill. Previously she had no problem and the mower was faster than she needed. now it is a slug. I have changed the plugs, thought the carb may have a problem because of the crappy gas but it was free of any debris but I tore it down and soaked it for 4 hours in new cleaner. Replaced the fuel pump the filter and all fuel lines, still no progress. Ran a compression test and had 100 and 105 psi, I now suspect an ignition problem, can anyone help me out ? Appreciate your response.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy thing first.
Lost power = what ?
Won't rev or revs faster but goes no where ?
How are the belts ',Tight & clean ?
Does it start easy or cranks for ages before it finally runs ?

When was the last time it was serviced ?
How are the valve lashes ?
Go to this site then hit the "Free manuals" , and navigate to the Kawasaki section then download your engine manual.
Give your engine a full service according to the manual.

And check the belts for slipping or just plain wear
V belts drive off the sloped sides and so wear thin over time so loose traction.

Padroo

Threads
Does it run the same way without the mower being engaged?

callcoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Easy thing first.
Lost power = what ?
Won't rev or revs faster but goes no where ?
How are the belts ',Tight & clean ?
Does it start easy or cranks for ages before it finally runs ?

When was the last time it was serviced ?
How are the valve lashes ?
Go to this site then hit the "Free manuals" , and navigate to the Kawasaki section then download your engine manual.
Give your engine a full service according to the manual.

And check the belts for slipping or just plain wear
V belts drive off the sloped sides and so wear thin over time so loose traction.

The engine does not make enough power to pull a hill, almost dies when the deck is engaged. There is no slippage of belts, starts easy, runs up without a load, this condition occurred at once not gradually.

callcoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it run the same way without the mower being engaged?
The engine runs just fine until you put any load on it, condition started all at once, was OK one day the next no power! Forgot to state earlier that I also ran it under load without the air filter also when testing with no difference in performance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine does not make enough power to pull a hill, almost dies when the deck is engaged. There is no slippage of belts, starts easy, runs up without a load, this condition occurred at once not gradually.

Start the engine and then remove the plug leads.
You will most likely it runs the same with one plug removed ( cylinder is dead ) but won't run with the other removed ( good cylinder )
Usually with K's the pushrods fall off the rockers and with a bit of luck it will just be sitting there.
Valve lash is critical on these engines.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Start the engine and then remove the plug leads.
You will most likely it runs the same with one plug removed ( cylinder is dead ) but won't run with the other removed ( good cylinder )
Usually with K's the pushrods fall off the rockers and with a bit of luck it will just be sitting there.
Valve lash is critical on these engines.

Yes it is. I've adjusted mine a couple times over the years I've had the Kowlaski engine. The other thing I don't like about the motor is the hot lead for the left ignition coil lays atop the intake runner (zip tied to it) and any moisture between the runner and the wire shorts it out and kills the left cylinder. I removed the wire and placed it in a clear small diameter fuel hose and resecured it to the intake runner, That eliminated the dead cylinder.

Padroo

Threads
Several years ago I changed the plugs on my wife's TORO with a Kawasaki engine and I noticed that when I seated the spark plug wire it didn't snap. I pulled it off again and there wasn't anything in the spark plug boot to make it snap. The leads are so short I ended up putting a new $50 coil in it. I have learned over the years not to remove spark plug wires any more than necessary. It seems the more you remove them the more damage is done. I can't remember the last time I put plug in that TORO and it runs fine.

callcoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bertsmoble, Sidecarflip and Padroo

Really appreciate your input and based on what was provided even though I haven't been able to tear into the engine just may be the push rod scenario. Have been tied up with a construction project, have guests flying tomorrow, we all fly out Tuesday and I will not be back till the 23rd. Will advise engine status after that time. I really want to thank you thre for coming to my aid, I have no experience with this engine