Engine Trouble restarting when the engine is hot

Tampa64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 and I'm having a problem restarting my mower when the engine is hot. If it's cold, it starts fine, but after it's been running for a while and I stop for any reason, it won't restart again and I usually end up letting it sit overnight. The next day it cranks right up. Any idea where I should start troubleshooting?

Thank you.

Al

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like your coil is breaking down due to heat. Either a hot short or hot open. Next time it happens check to see if you have spark.

Tampa64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks, I'll have a look.

Al

Padroo

Threads
If it has a fuel pump it could be low fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure is one of the causes of vapor lock.
Old cars used to have that problem when hot and one of the cures was to wrap aluminum foil around the gas line where it is close to a heat source.

The coil idea is easy to check with a spark tester and a few other ways. It should jump at least a 1/2 inch gap.
Ignition spark will jump further in free air than it will under compression that is why you need to increase the gap and not just use a spark plug.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Everything has to be perfect and you have to get lucky to get a spark to jump a 1/2 inch. A spark of an 1/8 inch is good, but if you can see a blue spark across a plug gap, your coil is good.