Add on fuel filter for Troy Bilt mower and power washer?

spinnaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Add on fuel filter for Troy Bilt mower and power washer?
I have both a Try Bilt mower and power washer. Both use Brigs and Stratton.

My power washer wouldn't start recently. I tracked the issue down to a fuel problem. Drained the old gas and cleaned the carburetor, including the ports. It now runs better than ever.

My issue was likely old gas but it looks like I might have also had dirt in my gas. There is no fuel filter for these engines. Can one be added? The fuel line from the tank to the carburetor is not very long 5 inches at most. I don't know if I can get a filter in there. Does the filer need to be in a direct line with the carburetor? Or can I place it slightly below the line between the tank and carburetor

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be a screen filter inside the fuel tank.
The mesh size of the screen is smaller than the diameter of the main jet so in theory if i goes through the screen it will go through the main jet.
In theory.
As for fitting another finer filter go for it.
Again, in theory you could run a mile of tube from the tank to the carb, just as long as the carb is lower than the outlet of the fuel tank.
So you can run the fuel line anywhere to find a convienent place to put your filter.
All that will happen is the volume of the fuel line & filter will become a dead sump of fuel that can not get used once the tank is empty.

spinnaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
There should be a screen filter inside the fuel tank.
The mesh size of the screen is smaller than the diameter of the main jet so in theory if i goes through the screen it will go through the main jet.
In theory.
As for fitting another finer filter go for it.
Again, in theory you could run a mile of tube from the tank to the carb, just as long as the carb is lower than the outlet of the fuel tank.
So you can run the fuel line anywhere to find a convienent place to put your filter.
All that will happen is the volume of the fuel line & filter will become a dead sump of fuel that can not get used once the tank is empty.

Thanks. I guess there is no why to get to that screen?

I should have checked my bucket before draining the tank. I am not positive it was clean. But if the dirt was not already in the bucket how could it make it past the screen?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
just like dust you can not see in the air forms fluff under the bed, behind wardrobes etc, tiny bits of dust will join together to make bigger bits.
If the tank outlet has a hex on it it has a removable outlet with filter.
If it is just round pipe welded onto the tank then it is the cheap, no filter version.
Both should have a filter screen inside the filler but they tend to get lost over time.

And I should have mentioned, all of the extra fuel line needs to be lower than the fuel outlet in the tank or you risk a vapour lock.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use the filter shown here ( red filter 3rd down ,left hand side ) for my push mower with a really short fuel line, yes a tight fit but its do-able, its 150 micron ( NON fuel-pump engines) works great, cheap about $3.50 at Ace Hardware, or $5.55 at the mower shop, only about 2 inches total length, give it a try if you decide to use NEW fuel lines too, be sure to use the REAL TYGON yellow from a mower shop ( avoid the blackmarket stuff ) Ace carries it also, but be sure you see the box says TYGON on it

Click to enlarge ... these are Briggs filters with P/Ns

FUEL FILTERS.JPG

SidecarFlip

Threads
You can buy inline disposa filters on Flea Bay or Amazon in bulk. I usually buy a dozen a year. About 1/4th the price of the lawnmower shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can buy inline disposa filters on Flea Bay or Amazon in bulk. I usually buy a dozen a year. About 1/4th the price of the lawnmower shop.

And you can buy the ones that failed quality control and don't work at all from all sorts of places including Amazon & Evilpay really cheap.
However it is a bit hard to tell which are good ones & which are bad ones.
Remember the only scrap in China is what they import, everything that comes off a line in China gets sold regardless of weather it works or not.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
And you can buy the ones that failed quality control and don't work at all from all sorts of places including Amazon & Evilpay really cheap.
Remember the only scrap in China is what they import, everything that comes off a line in China gets sold regardless of weather it works or not.

54-6-101L.jpg

SidecarFlip

Threads

Fair statement, why I only buy quality ones from China....

Don't believe any are made domestically anymore.

Threads
I have both a Try Bilt mower and power washer. Both use Brigs and Stratton.

My power washer wouldn't start recently. I tracked the issue down to a fuel problem. Drained the old gas and cleaned the carburetor, including the ports. It now runs better than ever.

My issue was likely old gas but it looks like I might have also had dirt in my gas. There is no fuel filter for these engines. Can one be added? The fuel line from the tank to the carburetor is not very long 5 inches at most. I don't know if I can get a filter in there. Does the filer need to be in a direct line with the carburetor? Or can I place it slightly below the line between the tank and carburetor

There are no filters in your tanks........... 394358S is a good filter for what you want. Those are the white ones and will let gas pass thru perfect, the red ones are a bigger mesh inside and will let smaller particles go thru..... I order the 100 pack from my distributor and it is a Briggs labeled product like they put on their engines ....

394358S are 4 buxs at a mower shop........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!