IS2100Z Synthetic Oil Recommendation

Robbie936

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am going to buy a Ferris IS2100Z mower tomorrow, can anyone recommend a synthetic oil for the Vanguard oil guard engine. I will not be stretching it out to 500 hours as per the Ferris blurb. More like yearly.
Thanks.

Padroo

Threads
I would think any brand name synthetic would do the trick but what weight?

Will it be used commercially?

What grease will you use on the spindles?

I bought a left over IS3200Z without the Oil Guard System and am in the same boat.

Robbie936

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower will have the 52' deck and will not be used commercially. I had not thought about greasing.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The oil recommendations will be in your Mowers Users Guide, Be sure to get your Mowers Parts & Repair Manuals as well, (if you are going to maintain the machine yourself AFTER warranty expiration) , be sure not to do ANYTHING to void the warranty, READ the owners guide, !! keep all receipts and paperwork from the machine with the manuals, all in one place, lastly ... IF, & when you do anything to the machine, TAKE LOTS of PICS .. LOTS of them, they WILL prove handy, especially pics of linkages, and ESPECIALLY springs ( points of attachment ( from where to where ) Best of luck and much happiness with your new "toy" .. :thumbsup:

SidecarFlip

Threads
I use Shell Rotella 5-40 T6 synthetic in every engine I own from lawnmowers to zero turns to tillers to the wife's gas engine in her buggy to my diesel pickup to my diesel farm tractors. They all get T6 Rotella.. Never had a lubrication issue in 20 years at least. I buy it in 55 gallon drums.

Robbie936

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks chaps, I think some 5W-30 synthetic should do, it's not too cold where i am and i won't be mowing when it is hot (I'm in Australia).

greenguy

Threads
Keep in mind, there is synthetic for automotive use and for air cooled small equipment use, both different applications. I use Amsoil small engine oil 10w-30.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And very low viscosity base oils will tend to leak past seals designed to hold back thicker oil when cold so make sure you check the oil regularly and don't panic if you see a little oil on the underside of the mower.

MowLife

Threads
My Vanguard has 3200+ hours on it ....I’ve always use conventional 10-30 without any problems. I use synthetics in all my vehicles but mowers get good ole pure oil.

SidecarFlip

Threads
And very low viscosity base oils will tend to leak past seals designed to hold back thicker oil when cold so make sure you check the oil regularly and don't panic if you see a little oil on the underside of the mower.

Being a Brit bike collector, if it ain't wet (underneath) something is wrong.:wink: