Briggs Intek V Twin - replace broken governor rod?

gregfrey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all;

Brand new to the forum, pleased to meet you all.

I have a Briggs and Stratton Intek V Twin (406777-0128). The governor is shot. Unfortunately, upon cracking the engine open, not only have the governor flanges come off, but the rod is broken as well. Does anyone here know how to get the governor rod out? It seems like the rod is 'press fit' into the block. Online, I see that I can buy the part, but I can't figure out how to remove the broken one. Is there a special tool? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Greg Frey

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It should slide out of the sleeve from the inside. Some have a retainer clip on the outside of the block that has to be removed to slide the shaft inward.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi all;

Brand new to the forum, pleased to meet you all.

I have a Briggs and Stratton Intek V Twin (406777-0128). The governor is shot. Unfortunately, upon cracking the engine open, not only have the governor flanges come off, but the rod is broken as well. Does anyone here know how to get the governor rod out? It seems like the rod is 'press fit' into the block. Online, I see that I can buy the part, but I can't figure out how to remove the broken one. Is there a special tool? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Greg Frey

This Manual may be the help you need ......... keep us updated .......... Boo

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/edit

gregfrey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, guys!

Very helpful. I'll report back regarding my progress.

Thanks again,

Greg

gregfrey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick question -

The governor disassembly instructions call for a couple special tools: #19165 and #19129. Do you know if they're required to do the job? I hope not, because it appears that tool # 19129 is no longer available.

Thanks

Greg Frey

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Quick question -

The governor disassembly instructions call for a couple special tools: #19165 and #19129. Do you know if they're required to do the job? I hope not, because it appears that tool # 19129 is no longer available.

Thanks

Greg Frey

Only required if you are removing and reinstalling the governor shaft bushing which is not required unless damaged, or badly worn. Never have had to replace one, but have done a couple shafts and just used the existing bushing.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF it did come down to replacing the bushing, it's possible a Briggs servicing shop in your area MIGHT have the special tools and would accommodate you for a nominal fee...

gregfrey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

Quick update. I had a local repair shop open the block. The governor shaft is not broken. A different shaft broke, whose base is embedded in (does not pass thru) the block wall. He tried to heat the aluminum block to get the shaft out, but no luck. I'm considering purchasing a short block.

Thoughts?

Best

Greg Frey

Threads
Hi guys,

Quick update. I had a local repair shop open the block. The governor shaft is not broken. A different shaft broke, whose base is embedded in (does not pass thru) the block wall. He tried to heat the aluminum block to get the shaft out, but no luck. I'm considering purchasing a short block.

Thoughts?

Best

Greg Frey

Wow imbedded in the block and cannot get it out ???? Can you post a few pics of this mystery shaft ??

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
  • / Briggs Intek V Twin - replace broken governor rod?
Hi guys,

Thoughts?

Best

Greg Frey

That is what I suspected in the beginning but your comments and others responses kept me from posting ei. you said you found the part on ebay. See your first post. That part is not replaceable. I do have a good used block I would sell for $20 but shipping will be that much. IF interested, contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com