Raptor 52" always struggles to discharge grass

Hustler27

Threads
Hey guys. First time rider owner. Purchased my Hustler Raptor whenever they first came out. About 130 hours on it I think. About 2.5 acre lawn. Seems to be really struggling to discharge here at the end of the season. I'm wondering if you can tell me anything helpful about mower blades and maintenance etc. I didn't grow up in a family that needed riders either, so everything is new to me when it happens. :) I have not replaced the blades or tried to figure out how to remove them to sharpen them and reinstall them yet. I'm sure they need it and that's what giving me the most trouble with getting the grass to discharge (though this has always been a problem with this mower).

Wondering what skill level is involved in taking the blades off and reinstalling them as I don't want to start throwing blades through the neighbor's window because I did something wrong. Also, is it common to just buy oem replacement blades or are there other companies that make better blades etc.

Thanks!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
You probably have a huge grass buildup under the deck. Need to jack the mower up at the front, block it up, then scrape out under the deck. The blades certainly will need sharpening or replacement after 130 hours. They are easy to remove with a long breaker bar and the proper six point socket. Wrap a thick towel around the blades so you can hold them as you take them off and wear gloves. OR, you can block the blades from turning with a piece of 2x6 as you remove. Still wear gloves. The bolts are regular right hand thread. The wings on the blades go up toward the underside of the deck. You can use OEM or aftermarket blades. OEM and Oregon brand are both good. Blade torque specs should be in the owner's manual.

Hustler27

Threads
Thanks for the start John!

Hustler27

Threads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZM_0dFXMzU

Watched this (sound is quiet) and he seems to use some sort of tool to put the blade back on that does something with the correct torque. Any idea what that is so that I put them back on correctly? Necessary?

Thanks.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
It's a torque wrench. In my many years of experience of taking blades off and on, I never use one any more. I just get the blades back on reasonably tight. Finger tighten as much as you can so you know the bolts are not cross threading, then get them tight with the wrench. The rotation of the blades in use tends to keep them tight. I bet they are hard to get off after three seasons. After you get them off, oil the bolt threads lightly if any rust is showing.

Hustler27

Threads
Thanks. So no issue with overtightening I take it?

Also, any opinion on blade options? I'm having a heck of a time getting it to cut clean and to get it to discharge, so I'm now seeing there are high lift blades and mulching blades and mulch kits to add on etc.

Thanks.

Padroo

Threads
After cleaning the deck and sharpening the blades if it still doesn't discharge right you might have to slow down so the mower deck has time to process all that grass. How tall do you let it get before you mow? Wet grass is the worst, try to mow after the dew is off the grass.

Hustler27

Threads
I know the wet grass is part of it. I try to mow when it is driest, but I live at the bottom of a development, so it's always kind of wet. The more I wait for the driest weather, the longer it gets. :) I'll clean it out and get new blades as you suggested and see if that makes a difference.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You'll likely find high lift blades to give the best cut quality and discharge for your situation. Over time the air foils start getting worn and reduce in size and even lose pieces, thus throwing less air. You should be sharpening or changing them at least every season. Personally I run Gator high lift mulching blades most of the time but for your conditions I think they would be a step in the wrong direction for you.

Hustler27

Threads
Suggestions? I was talking with someone today about blades online and got standard, gator, mulch and low sail, but nothing high lift I guess.

Thanks.