Raptor 52" always struggles to discharge grass

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually order my blades from my dealer. Not sure what size your mower takes. Could be 16 1/4 or 16 1/2? Your manual should list part numbers for your blades and you can use that to cross-reference. Standard usually means a medium lift but many mowers come standard with high lift blades. High lift blades are sometimes called 2-in-1 blades because they are good for both discharging and bagging. On occasion that I order them online I get them landscaper pro.

http://www.landscaperpro.com/HustlerHighLiftStandardLiftMulchingGatorandCopperheadMowerBlad.aspx

clubairth

Threads
I am not sure but have you ever sharpened the blades in those 130 hours?

I use Gator blades on my 54SD. I found buying them in bulk on EBay is just about the same price as paying someone to sharpen them.
I wish I could do a better job too. I got 9 blades for about $85 so that's a little over $9/blade.

Are you aware of the discharge chute modification? My mower was fine but cutting the opening out a bit more as the modification does improves the grass discharge.
I also see commercial guys mowing with the plastic safety cover pulled up with a bungee cord. I have been told to be careful doing this as the machine can throw rocks and other things a long way!

Last edited:

ukrkoz

Threads
1. You can shake water off the grass with a simple drag. I made one out of spare fence mesh and 3 2x4 attached to it on the top. Spaced apart, so that when it goes over humps, mesh follows terrain. I tow it behind my ATV early am, around 9-10, so it shakes all the dew off the grass and then mow in the afternoon. Some drag garden hose, Whatever.
2. You MUST sharpen blades regularly, or it will do nothing better but clump grass clippings in the deck, sort of rolling them into large grass balls, choking mower. Ever so often, stop, turn blades off, then turn them back on. Every time you do so, it shakes deck and what's inside, off. Do it 2-3 times in a row. You WILL leave a large pile of grass behind when you start moving.
3. Here's why you have discharge issue. So do I. So did my 54 raptor and now 60 SD. Their deck sucks. The way discharge is designed, you have large round nook in the right hand corner. All it's doing is to collect clippings, as mower deck is designed to move clippings towards chute. That's fine, except that chute is actually not across the ENTIRE deck side, but only half of it. The rest is clippings collector.
That's the real reason. Next time, buy mower with rectangular deck and chute across the entire side of it. Also, Hustler has metal bar across the chute bottom. Bay far, it is not helping with discharge, but helps to retain clippings inside the deck.
I took Sawzall to mine and cut it open as much as I could, widening chute opening. I am limited by mulching attachment, but I still opened it quite a few inches. Next, I re did the chute cover, as it hangs too low, clogging chute with clippings. I made metal sheet sidewalls, added to cover, so that they hold cover higher up. As the result, I have much less clumping issue but I still ride with a hooked stick on the foot deck. Ever so often, I'll stop, pull cover up and hold it with left hand, while with the right hand, I use stick to remove grass clump in the right chute corner. Takeson average 5-6 passes on severla acres to build it up.
Like I said, it's deck chute design. Simply not right.

clubairth

Threads
Yes here is the factory deck mod I was talking about without the added reinforcing bracket. You can see the holes drilled where it bolts to. They added a angle iron bracket but some people just cut it out and forget the added bracket.. The deck is very stout.

The factory kit for my SD54" was #123349 and #190389.
Paid about $65 with shipping on EBay.

Cut Out Grass Shute1.jpg

Cut Out Grass Shute.jpg

ukrkoz

Threads
Yeah, I thought about that. I have mulching kit that I use, that limits me in how much I can chute open and I need that lower bar. That bar is indeed in your face discharge deterrent. Either way, left hand corner will still collect clippings. Just much less.
Btw, I just sharpened my blades ON the mower, without removing them. High speed angle grinder and mower lift.

mhavanti

Threads
Here is a modification that will be pretty much all you need to make your discharge chute perfect for your Raptor. It will also help maintain a modicum of safety for you and others around the discharge chute by retaining the lower portion of the enforcement bar.

Go check out the videos and you will see there is no blockage at all once you lower the enforcement bar below the top of the blade tip. Type of blade isn't a big deal as the blade that came on it works well in most grasses including wet.

Good luck,

Max

DSC05049.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8