Jacobsen 628 2wd

snakeknuckles

Threads
So I bought my 628 at auction to replace/ supplement my 422d. The two are very similar but the 628 is much nicer to operate and has much better power. They are both 2 wheel drive-unfortunately. I mow about 4 acres of hilly ground and constantly getting stuck. Both have turf tires... On the 422 I can usually get out of trouble by lifting the deck. That is not so effective on the 628. The 628 has differential brakes that dont work-I adjusted the rods, but I cannot get the drums off the axle to check brake shoes- I tried pretty hard with a slide hammer. Anybody had this problem/ have a solution? I will get into that this winter. I checked with Jacobsen about retrofitting a diff-lock valve. The parts from Jacobsen would cost about 3K- more than I paid for tractor. Anybody know how to build the hydraulic diff lock for less than 3K? I think I will change to a more aggressive tire tread as well.

northcreeek262

Threads
So I bought my 628 at auction to replace/ supplement my 422d. The two are very similar but the 628 is much nicer to operate and has much better power. They are both 2 wheel drive-unfortunately. I mow about 4 acres of hilly ground and constantly getting stuck. Both have turf tires... On the 422 I can usually get out of trouble by lifting the deck. That is not so effective on the 628. The 628 has differential brakes that dont work-I adjusted the rods, but I cannot get the drums off the axle to check brake shoes- I tried pretty hard with a slide hammer. Anybody had this problem/ have a solution? I will get into that this winter. I checked with Jacobsen about retrofitting a diff-lock valve. The parts from Jacobsen would cost about 3K- more than I paid for tractor. Anybody know how to build the hydraulic diff lock for less than 3K? I think I will change to a more aggressive tire tread as well.

I pulled my drums off with one of these(below) and yes they are a bear to remove. If I were in your position I would look for a parts machine to convert to AWD. I have seen them occasionally pop up on CL . Mike
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CTA-4300-F...ydVlz16:sc:USPSPriority!14085!US!-1:rk:8:pf:0
s-l1600.jpg