removing rear wheels

rush1981

Forum Newbie
Threads
just wondering if there is a trick to removing the rear wheels on my 38 inch bolens rider. it is an older model, 10-15 years old that I bought used and just want to grease the wheels. I removed the nut and the wheel will not come off even when I bang it with a hammer!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They rust on solid if not removed every 5 years or so , cleaned & greased.

My method is to put a pair of scissor jacks between the wheel & the frame to put a moderate load on the wheel.
Then hit the axel with an air hammer till it moves a little forward and the jacks go a bit loose.
Tighten the jacks and repeat.
Can take a day or two
On really tight ones I get something in on the axel to clean it, wire brush, wet & dry etc then hit the inside of the hub that is clear of the axel with a cup brush to clean it.
Apply some penetrating fluid, tap the wheel back on then repeat the process at infinitum.

Do not use excessive force as the axel is held in with a clip which can come loose then you have to pull the box apart.

Or pull the box apart & press the axels out.

You can heat the wheel dull red and pull it off but repainting takes a lot longer.

rush1981

Forum Newbie
Threads
They rust on solid if not removed every 5 years or so , cleaned & greased.

My method is to put a pair of scissor jacks between the wheel & the frame to put a moderate load on the wheel.
Then hit the axel with an air hammer till it moves a little forward and the jacks go a bit loose.
Tighten the jacks and repeat.
Can take a day or two
On really tight ones I get something in on the axel to clean it, wire brush, wet & dry etc then hit the inside of the hub that is clear of the axel with a cup brush to clean it.
Apply some penetrating fluid, tap the wheel back on then repeat the process at infinitum.

Do not use excessive force as the axel is held in with a clip which can come loose then you have to pull the box apart.

Or pull the box apart & press the axels out.

You can heat the wheel dull red and pull it off but repainting takes a lot longer.
thanks for your reply, I don't know the history of this mower and it is very important to me cause I have a football field for a yard. I just changed the deck belt and wanted to grease the back wheels

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By virtue of the post & the fact that I am a mobile Mower mechanic you could draw a conclusion hat the wheels most likely have never been off unless the mower has had a flat
Not something that was made apparent too me when I bought the business but it is now part of every routine service.
Keep it greased and it is a 2 minute job.
neglected, some have taken better than a week and others have needed he box split to press the axels out of the wheels.
Not a problem with manual boxes but a bugger with a hydro.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
As mentioned earlier, PATIENCE & PENETRATING oil.. lots of both, seeing that you're in Fl. also, most of the auto-supply stores & Wally's World carry a product called ( PB-BLASTER ) great stuff, but stiill it requires patience... be sure it gets in the space between the wheel and the axle, use an air-gun to blow it in if need be (wear goggles) and using the mower will help it get around in there, just be sure to go easy ... don't want to cause damage to anything ... :thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best penetrating oil I have found is YIELD. May have to do some searching to find, but with patience it really works.