2007 LA165 Stops Moving After 30 Minutes Of Mowing

Camaron32

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is my first half-season with a 2007 LA165 24up Briggs and Stratton 48 inch mower deck that I bought used with about 300 hours on it from a local John Deere dealer. I mow about a 1/3 of an acre that is relatively flat but does have a short 45 degree slope at the back of the yard. Now I'm not a small guy at 6'3 and about 380lbs. What I'm experiencing is that after about a half hour of mowing the mower slows down until it stops moving. I do not notice any problems with the engine and the mower deck. This problem has happened once before and the problem went away for a bit after I changed the belts. With a hydrostatic transmission I keep my foot on the forward pedal and I do not use the cruise. I was angry when it happened so I just waited for the mower to cool off a bit and then parked it in the garage and walked away. I'm somewhat handy so when I get around to fixing this thing what are some of the causes that I should be looking for? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the tranny growls when you use it then chances are it is on it's way out.
A bit dissapointing to get one like that from a dealer.
JD use light oil in their hydros so usually you can tease some more life out of one by changing to a heavier grade oil ( 20W 50 ) if & only if you do not use it in the snow.
The L series trannies usually start going in the 400-500 hour mark and an oil change can squeeze another 100 to 200 hours out of them.
Make sure that the case is clean so the oil can cool & check that the fan is working, they can strip so not actually pump.
And on that subject, the pulley is on a fine spline & they have been known to strip as well.
However this is generally indifferent to time.

So start by having a word to the shop you bought it from.
If they recommend replacement, then go to Mulligans, not them.
There is a pump/motor ( called core ) replacement kit available but you need a very clean enviroment to do this work.
I use the workshop bathroom after spraying the walls with water & keep the tranny covered with a damp shop towel when not working on it.
Disposable painters coveralls & hat.
Trannise get remover, pressure washed, soda blasted then hot watr washed before I even think of opening them up.

Camaron32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't remember hearing the transmission growl. The engine was on a faster idle and the cutting looked fine. I'll call the shop tomorrow and see what they say. After that I guess I will need to find out what transmission I have. Yeah, it sucks. That's why I went to a dealer in the first place.

jarnhold

Threads
Got the same issue with a LA120 with a T-40 hydro, fortunately they can be rebuilt lots of youtube videos, hopefully its not to hard. I heard about 20w50, what should one do after a rebuild add 20w50 or is there something on a rebuild

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am yet to see one single how to video on rebuilding hudros dom=ne by a person who actually know what they are blathering about.
I see people doing them without properly washing the outside of the case, others working on dirty floors or benches.
I try to avoid pulling one down but when I do it id done in the bathroom after hosing the walls & floor down.
The box gets covered with a damp lint free shop tow any time my hands are not inside it.
Before the box gets split, it is blown down , degreased, pressure washed , soda blasted & rinsed.
In videos I see dirty greasy boxes getting split and bloke shoving tools inside with globs of gunk on them.
When fixed like that they won't stay fixed for very long.