Swapping briggs intek single cylinder for kawasaki FR651? possible?

shawneegaming

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Swapping briggs intek single cylinder for kawasaki FR651? possible?
I have a country clipper jazee with a 20hp briggs intek single with about 115hrs approx. The compression release has been going out for awhile now and it finally let go completely and no longer starts. The parts seem fairly cheap(under $100) but when researching people are having this cam failure multiple times in a row and I don't want to break this thing down more than once. I love this mower, I've never had a single problem with the mower but the engine seems like garbage. In 115hrs I've already already had the head gasket fail and had to replace that as well as about 3 starters, solenoid, cables, battery, etc during the troubleshooting of the compression release. I think the extra 1.5hp would be nice too as the current motor at 20hp does stress sometimes on heavy tall grass.

I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced this engine in any application with a kawa fr651. Possible? Gotchas? One issue I see is the exhaust setup but seems bearable. I'm ok with the wiring revamp, I just want to know if I'm over my head on any mounting holes, electric clutch setup, etc etc.

Briggs 33m677 0117 g1

Thanks in advance

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Swapping briggs intek single cylinder for kawasaki FR651? possible?
mounting surface holes are universal across the board between engine manufacturers You will need to pick an engine with the same length and diameter of crankshaft as the original engine, and make sure the charging system output is no smaller than the one on the original engine. Everything is workable.