Coil issues

Chops41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please shed some light! I recently purchased a Cub Cadet SLTX 1050. The previous owner somehow shorted the wiring. Both coils blew, the seat switch, ignition switch and RCM module and PTO relay. So I got it all replaced. When I went to crank it the only way to crank it was to disconnect the kill wire off of one coil. I verified that the kill wire does not read to ground. The coils are shorting together causing it to cut out. I verified this by only running a wire from one coil to the other. Without it hooked up it runs fine. The coils I purchased were cheap eBay coils. 2 for $40. Could that be the root cause? I’m at a loss. I can’t find any information on this scenario anywhere. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the wire that runs between the two coils should contain a diode. It prevents the coils from talking to each other. Sounds like that diode is bad.

Chops41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. There is no diode and the schematic doesn’t show one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When they first started doing this they found the coils would talk to each other so the first step was to add a diode as previously mentioned.
Then phase 2 was to have the diode added to the control chip so it vanished from the wiring diagrams.
So it all depend which coil the millionaire American business man sent to China with the instructions "make 10,00 exactly like this cheap cheap"
Or the coils you bought were the ones that failed the quality control so got sent back.
Profit margins in China are razor thins so known defective parts get sold to wholesale distribution networks generally in Hong Kong and eventually idiots who are too cheap for their own good buy them from Ebay or Amazon and when they fail they cheapskates are too embarassed to post negative feedback alerting other cheapskates that the parts are defective.

There is a massive difference between
"Fits Kohler xyz" and OEM maker and works.

Chops41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can find the diode part number?