If you could do it again, would you buy a Hustler SD

Mr. Mower

Threads
I have only owned my SD54 for just over a year.
2 1/2 acres of rolling yard.
No problems as of yet, and like the tremendous amount of information available from owners.
Many if not most of the broken bolt problems are preventable if you periodically inspect for loose bolts.
They typically work loose before breaking.

Thank you very much for pointing that out.

Very good point on this particular statement.

You are so right about that. As a matter of fact, on Hustlers Operating Manual, under Safe Operating Practices it even states the following:

Follow daily and weekly checklists, making sure hoses
are tightly secured and bolts are tightened.

clubairth

Threads
Things are competitive in that price range but my Raptor SD54 is great for the 1 acre I mow.

Have 150 hours (3rd mowing season) on it and note the negative reviews are from people who don't own one!
Only pay attention to actual owners instead of the Internet experts with no experience with the machine.

I have had to replace the cross brace with the updated HD version, that's it-no other problems from day one. The new models come with this now. Added a few options like the Engine Cover, Muffler Heat Shield and modified the discharge chute. Added a suspension under the factory seat. Used a much larger automotive oil filter on the 23HP Kawasaki and went to Mobil 1 after the factory break in oil was changed. I do recommend getting the KAW motor as the factory has used different engines which are probably OK but look around and that 23HP Kawasaki is the industry standard and used in many brands of machines.

I purchased from a local dealer which has been terrible. I really wish I had just purchased the cross brace and installed myself. It's pretty simple and I wasted weeks dealing with my local dealer who I purchased the machine thru at full factory price!
Buy it where you can find the best deal.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
<snip>
I purchased from a local dealer which has been terrible. I really wish I had just purchased the cross brace and installed myself. It's pretty simple and I wasted weeks dealing with my local dealer who I purchased the machine thru at full factory price!
Buy it where you can find the best deal..

I found the best deal at my local Hustler dealer as they have three locations and are high volume. The only drawback is almost all their stock sits outside, some assembled for demo, others on pallets unassembled. I think they keep the seats inside. Mine was unassembled on a pallet. They did give me an extra $300 off for some faded plastic (New Fastrak 54" RD Kaw 23 HP for $5500). That was $650 better than the next best quote. I haven't had any problems at all yet, and really don't expect to. Mowing about 2.6 acres about every 4 to 14 days, depending on growth.

Padroo

Threads
I don't own a Hustler but have always heard it was a great value mower. You can't go wrong with Kawasaki engines and I do have experience with the one on my wife's 14 year old TORO. When I look at Z mowers I look at engines, hydraulics and how the mower deck is made and a dealer that is close that will work with you. I generally stock oil filters and v belts and eventually get around to buying one spare spindle and order them on line.

Axys

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 2016 raptor SD 54 and have about 50 or so hours on it. I like how nice the mower cuts grass not under powered and nice handling. Just the other day a big chunk of paint came of the deck, so I contacted my dealer. I know they had some trouble with the paint not sticking that year.
Waiting from my dealer if Hustler will fix my problem. Other than that I think its a great mower.

Axys

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / If you could do it again, would you buy a Hustler SD
Well I just got my mower back today from the dealer. Hustler replaced the mower deck and the trans cross brace. Could not ask for better service from my dealer and Hustler.:thumbsup:

mhavanti

Threads
  • / If you could do it again, would you buy a Hustler SD
Axys,

Glad you're getting good service from both your dealer and the manufacturer. That is the way it is supposed to be.

Keep us all informed.

Max