Hit the 5 year mark with the Kubota ZG123S

fishbone

Threads
Hard to believe I had this mower 5 years. The wake up had me realize that the oil probably was changed only once.
Has 279 hours on the clock.
My bad.
So today it got the full treatment with fuel filter, oil filter, oil, air cleaner cleaned, and new spark plugs.
I just ordered a Mojack lift to get at the blades for a sharpening session. Also bought an impact wrench and sockets.
The mower has run flawless over the years. I considered selling it for a JD lawn tractor to reduce tearing up the turf.
But soon realized that I would be back fighting a steering wheel around all the trees, bushes and beds on my 1 1/2 acres.
Scraped that idea. Not willing to give up ZTM steering ease.
I just have to take extra care with my turns and putting power down on the soft rain soaked sod. Been a tough year.
Heard somebody say we only had two rains; one for 30 days and the other for 40 days.
One puzzle was that I could find no zerk fittings to accept grease. The manual called out none as well. Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.
The Kubota has been solid.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh my...not good. What do you mean that you cleaned the air filter? Blew out with high pressure compressed air? Not a good practice IMO. If it's still original I'd change that out too. Have the blades ever been sharpened or replaced? If they're original they almost certainly need replacement.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Just getting broken in.....Kubota is a quality machine in pukey orange that fades to Mary Kay pink. I know, I have a couple.

fishbone

Threads
Darryl G, I broke down and bought new air filters.
As for the blades, I have a jack arriving on Monday. My plan is to sharpen the blades, but you call for replacement.
Why replace?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Darryl G, I broke down and bought new air filters.
As for the blades, I have a jack arriving on Monday. My plan is to sharpen the blades, but you call for replacement.
Why replace?
In my experience blades with that many hours on them will either have the sails worn to the point they don't throw enough air and/or have pieces falling off and the blade tips are likely worn back/rounded off, leading to cut quality problems. It depends on mowing conditions of course but that's a lot of hours on a set of blades. If they look good then by all means sharpen them, but I'd be pretty surprised.

fishbone

Threads
In my experience blades with that many hours on them will either have the sails worn to the point they don't throw enough air and/or have pieces falling off and the blade tips are likely worn back/rounded off, leading to cut quality problems. It depends on mowing conditions of course but that's a lot of hours on a set of blades. If they look good then by all means sharpen them, but I'd be pretty surprised.

Good tips. I'll inspect closely. Thanks.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I replace my blades every fall. I'm mowing 7 acres in sandy loam and I get a year out of a set. That's it. I get my blades from Agri-Supply online. Good time to check the spindle bearings too. I keep a spare spindle on and all the time. One never knows