Honda GXV120 fitted to Victa 600 mulch & mow

slow_runner

Threads
The Honda has been fitted to the Victa body. painting, wheel bearings and bushes etc done to improve its appearance and function.
I am wanting to fit the 4 blade Victa disc to the unit.
My thinking is that the fail blades will reduce the risk of damage in case of impact.
Is there an adapter that will fit to the Honda output shaft with the woodruff key and carry the Victa blade disc?

Or would a single mulch bar blade be satisfactory?

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
confused about what you have.
The 600 used to be called the super 24" , the blade disc has 2 or 4 swing back blades and is driven by a belt.
It is a fixed side discharge mower designed for councils to rough cut parks, particularly under gum tress with a lot of fallen branches.
If you have mounted the engine directly on top of the cutting circle then the 120 will not have the balls to swing anything.
The 600 was originally available with either a high compression VC 160, High compression Power Torque or GXV160
The 4 blade mulch & mow disc only fits on the 18" & 19" domestic mowers or the 20" & 22" pro series mowers.
They used to be available with Briggs, Honda, Tecumseh, or Power Torque engines. The mounting boss for the Honda engines was the same as the Briggs one & is still used on the current Victas with Briggs engines.

slow_runner

Threads
confused about what you have.
The 600 used to be called the super 24" , the blade disc has 2 or 4 swing back blades and is driven by a belt.
It is a fixed side discharge mower designed for councils to rough cut parks, particularly under gum tress with a lot of fallen branches..

Hi Bertsmobile. it is a Victa Corvette 600 18" with a darkish green chassis; badged up as a VC600.
No belt, just a simple push to go creation.

I was given a boss from a Honda (belt driven plastic cam? ) powered Victa. The boss does carry the disc but has a full length key that will not work for this GXXV120 which has two woodruff keyways.
I assume that the Honda it came off has a standard keyway machined in the output shaft.

slow_runner

Threads
Re: Honda GXV120 fitted to Victa 600 mulch & Catch

Is there anyone able to help? The next step is to modify a stock flat blade carrier

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pictures would help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Bertsmobile. it is a Victa Corvette 600 18" with a darkish green chassis; badged up as a VC600.
No belt, just a simple push to go creation.

I was given a boss from a Honda (belt driven plastic cam? ) powered Victa. The boss does carry the disc but has a full length key that will not work for this GXXV120 which has two woodruff keyways.
I assume that the Honda it came off has a standard keyway machined in the output shaft.

There are 3 blade bosses
1) Honda & Briggs
2) Tecumseh
3) Power Torq

AFAIK none of them have 2 key slots in them.
Check the length of the output shaft.
Chances are it is for a mower with belt drive or a blade clutch and will be longer.
There should be a step in the shaft just before it goes into the lower oil seal
So fit the boss you have using 1 woodruff key then measure the distance between the boss & the step.
Make a spacer that is about .002" longer than the distance so the boss will clamp the distance piece against the step
The keys do not drive, they position.
Victa uses the base plate to balance the engine which is why the 2 blade is a funny shape.
The 4 blade disc is symetrical , which is why the 4 blade mowers shake a little bit more than the 2 blade ones.

Full length keys drive , woodruff keys position

slow_runner

Threads
There are 3 blade bosses
1) Honda & Briggs
2) Tecumseh
3) Power Torq
AFAIK none of them have 2 key slots in them.
Check the length of the output shaft.
Chances are it is for a mower with belt drive or a blade clutch and will be longer.
There should be a step in the shaft just before it goes into the lower oil seal
So fit the boss you have using 1 woodruff key then measure the distance between the boss & the step.
Make a spacer that is about .002" longer than the distance so the boss will clamp the distance piece against the step
The keys do not drive, they position.
Victa uses the base plate to balance the engine which is why the 2 blade is a funny shape.
The 4 blade disc is symetrical , which is why the 4 blade mowers shake a little bit more than the 2 blade ones.
Full length keys drive , woodruff keys position
Thanks Bert.
The Honda output shaft has the two woodruff keyways.
I have an old B&S with both woodruff(2) and a single full length keyway.
Interesting that the key is not for drive but for position - for balance? So the shear key is within the flywheel still?
Here are some images- they are labelled for I.D
The Victa is the main item while the Lawnmaster is just carrying the Honda until I come upon another decent Victa chassis.
I needed to chop the blade carrier to enable use of the Pickervant puller. Jeeez, that boss took some effort and heat to shift; it was well secured :biggrin:

What, if anything, has been done to the 4 blade disc to flatten out the shake you speak of Bert? attach a bit of unbalance??

Attachments

• B&S (1).jpg
    B&S (1).jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 3
  • B&S (2).jpg
    B&S (2).jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Honda powered Lawnmaster (1).jpg
    Honda powered Lawnmaster (1).jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Honda powered Lawnmaster (2).jpg
    Honda powered Lawnmaster (2).jpg