Briggs & stratton model 445777 23 hp blowing blue smoke and burning oil

tonyh

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & stratton model 445777 23 hp blowing blue smoke and burning oil
My Briggs & Stratton 23 HP riding mower engine, model 445777, has begun to blow blue smoke, especially when under a load and is burning half quart of oil plus per tank of gas. There is no indication of an oil leak externally. Mower is also slow to start. Engine is abt 9 years old. Any help appreciated. Does this sound like head gasket issue?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be a head gasket issue, but could also be a case of a dropped intake push rod, or for some other reason that it isn't firing on one cylinder. The last two things listed could also explain the hard to start, but a bad head gasket could cause that issue to. The hard to start may be caused by a separate issue.

tonyh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I've never had to perform any maintenance other than general servicing on my mowers and I'm at a loss on where to start with this one. Guess I'll attempt to replace the head gasket first as that seems to be the general consensus on the blue smoke and burning the oil - the oil consumption really bothers me as I can't see where the oil is going :smile:

Could be a head gasket issue, but could also be a case of a dropped intake push rod, or for some other reason that it isn't firing on one cylinder. The last two things listed could also explain the hard to start, but a bad head gasket could cause that issue to. The hard to start may be caused by a separate issue.

Russ2251

Threads
the oil consumption really bothers me as I can't see where the oil is going
You do see it. That is the blue smoke...the result of burning oil.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Look at it this way... Blue smoke keeps the bugs away... 9 years old, I think the oil control rings are shot.

tonyh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep, if there is a bright side - the oil smoke keeps all the skeeters away after all the rain we've had
- thanks

Look at it this way... Blue smoke keeps the bugs away... 9 years old, I think the oil control rings are shot.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I've never had to perform any maintenance other than general servicing on my mowers and I'm at a loss on where to start with this one. Guess I'll attempt to replace the head gasket first as that seems to be the general consensus on the blue smoke and burning the oil - the oil consumption really bothers me as I can't see where the oil is going :smile:

Head gaskets are about a 1/2 to 1 hour job if there is no silicon to clean off.
The trick is to remove the muffler but only undo the carb at the manifold and push it to one side
Then it is only 4 bolts & the rocker cover comes off then another 8 to 10 bolts & the head comes off
Clean both faces, rotate the engine a couple of times to check the bore then back on with the head, poke in the pushrods, confirm they are seated properly by rotating the engine a few times , set the valve lash replace the rocker cover, carb & muffler and the job is done.
It is always prudent to run the engine for a couple of minutes then change the oil when you have finished.

tonyh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, you've made me feel better about tackling this job. I appreciate the easy to follow directions.
:thumbsup:

Head gaskets are about a 1/2 to 1 hour job if there is no silicon to clean off.
The trick is to remove the muffler but only undo the carb at the manifold and push it to one side
Then it is only 4 bolts & the rocker cover comes off then another 8 to 10 bolts & the head comes off
Clean both faces, rotate the engine a couple of times to check the bore then back on with the head, poke in the pushrods, confirm they are seated properly by rotating the engine a few times , set the valve lash replace the rocker cover, carb & muffler and the job is done.
It is always prudent to run the engine for a couple of minutes then change the oil when you have finished.