Would you mow your own yard if:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, didn't want to show off, just cause of having a few bucks. :laughing:

Well then, I guess you don't care about the "NUMBERS" in your bank accounts ..... :laughing:..:laughing:

broo

Threads
I'd keep my current equipment and still mow my own property.

The main thing that would change it that I would quit my job and probably travel more. For the rest, I'll still use my walk behind snowblower in the winter and keep working on my things as I do now. It's just that I'd get 40 more hours per week to do so :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'd keep my current equipment and still mow my own property.

The main thing that would change it that I would quit my job and probably travel more. For the rest, I'll still use my walk behind snowblower in the winter and keep working on my things as I do now. It's just that I'd get 40 more hours per week to do so :)

You obviously do not know anyone who has retired

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might be but BROO obviously isn't cause if he was he would know that the amount of things to take on to do grows in direct proportion to the time you think you have to do nothing in.

As for the original question , no chance of that happening to me cause I understand maths,
The lotteries used to be run by the government but some moron decided that the government had no right to do.
So they sold it to private enterprise who multiplied it 20 times over.
Any way the gist of this was when the government ran lotteries we defined them as "Taxation for the mathematically challenged"

Or as my uncle used to note
"The punters come to races by bus train & foot
The jockies arrive on pushbikes or taxis
The bookies arrive in their chauffer driven Rolls Royces

So who do you think always wins "

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The odds are astronomical.

But--someone has won every one of these jackpots so far.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the USA you chances of being shot in a random dive by shooting is 20,000 times better than winning a jackpot lottery.
And for every eventual winner there are tens to hundreds of million loosers.
Down here we have more gambleing than any country on the planet.
We also have a dire shortage of maths teachers , the two go hand in hand.
Every time a jackpot jackpots it is because nobody won it, eventually some on will .
We just had the biggest lotto jackpot go off at $ 60,000,000.
To get there 42 draws with an average of 5,500,000 entries had no winner and as the prize pool increases the number of entries increase.
We have fairly strict gun laws down here but more people get shot every year than win lotteries and we draw around 20 of them every week.
About 300 times as many people die in road collisions as win lotteries and we have more lotteries per head of population than any country in the world.

So yes eventually some one will win.
Eventually some one will get shot
Eventually some one will be struck from lightning
Eventually some one will die in each & every hurricane
Eventually some will get knifed by a perfect stranger.
Eventually some one will be blown up by a mad bomber.
Eventually some one will get cancer & die.
And all of these are hundreds of times more likely than winning a lottery and all of them will have a greater effect on your life.

And of course, the last statistic I saw on winners 19 out of 20 said it was the worst thing that ever happened to them
1 in 5 became the victims of extortionist ( Criminal kind, including kidnap & blackmail )
1 in 2 ended up with the total disintergration of their family
1 in 3 ended up in a formal divorce & the lawers ended up with most of the winnings.
Almost all of the children get stood over for money so have to change schools, usually several times.

You never see these numbers because of the power of the gaming industry, both political & financial.
You see the young & attractive people living it up, all the rest gets hidden from view except on public / government media and then only when political pressure has not been successful in hiding it.

Do you know any lottery winners ?
Are they happier now than before they became rich ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, but the fact remains--someone wins every one of these unwinnable lotteries.

My wife's ex-stepfather won 100 grand. He was a drunk, so he was happy before he won.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK , yes some one has to win a strait raffle type lottery and your chances of winning one of those is 1/ number of tickets
And for most of them the winnings are quite moderate so might pay off the mortage or buy a new car.

jackpots are different animal and statistically there is no more chance of the jackpot going off or not going off and compounding
The longest time for a poker machine not paying a jackpot is around 25 years ( Still running ) and the longest Jackpot I know of was 35 years.

So no, some body does not have to win, not this week, not next week or ever if the lottery is a numbers from a barrel type.
If it is ticket only lottery then yes some one has to win.

They published some results a long while ago of a $ 30,000,000 draw.
There were around 600,000,000 individual games played 9 at 50c game and even then there was something like 2000 individual sets of 6 numbers that no one had picked so it could not have been won that week either

Apparently around 40% of the people who win lotteries of $ 1,000,000 or less file for bankruptcy in the following 5 years and that goes up to 60 % 10 years out. The next 5 year period is up next year so it will be interesting to see how many are still "wealthy" 15 years out.
They were compared to people who had inherited $ 1,000,000 to $ 250,000 .OF these less than 5 % had filed for bankruptcy at the 5 year period and that was 8% at the 10 year mark.

The same person was trying to make the same determinations on people who won $ 10,000,000 to $ 1,000,000 but the numbers are so small the chances of the result being statistically relevant is less than 20% unless all of them take the survey.
However from what has been tabled at bankruptcy hearing that were public he came up with 12% at 5 years and 75% at 10 years bankrupt.

So back to your original question.
At least 1/2 of the people will be mowing their own lawns after they win, if they still have a lawn to mow.
The other 1/2 will be mowing community lawns wearing stripy suits and chains.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well then, I guess you don't care about the "NUMBERS" in your bank accounts ..... :laughing:..:laughing:

Boo- money is supposed to be stashed under the mattress, with the hound dog lying on it. :laughing:

So I could mow in peace at my mansion.... :cool: