2016 Cub Cadet Z Force L zero turn

dirtfan1

Threads
My mower whines when moving and when sitting still. When it's parked it doesn't creep and when it's moving it doesn't chatter. Everything seems to me working fine, I'm just wondering if the whine is hurting anything. Please help. thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some whine is normal for a hydro transmission. Not much you can do about it other than check your hydraulic oil reservoir.

SidecarFlip

Threads
My 60" CC Tank has whined since new, I ignore it.

dirtfan1

Threads
ok thanks. the hydrofluid level is good. i wasn't sure if i should replace the hydro oil filters on each side if that would help. I try to take care of repairs myself so i'm learning as i go. my local CC dealer is through the roof on their labor rates.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok thanks. the hydrofluid level is good. i wasn't sure if i should replace the hydro oil filters on each side if that would help. I try to take care of repairs myself so i'm learning as i go. my local CC dealer is through the roof on their labor rates.

How many hours on the machine? I think the recommended first hydro oil and filter change is at 100 hours. It's not whining to the point you would describe it as a howl, right? That's an indication of worn/damaged components. It's something you could do yourself, with care. You need to be ultra careful not to introduce any dust or dirt into the system.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Hydro Gear's take regular motor oil (I use 15-40 Rotella in mine and I change it every year plus both filters). Hydro Gear makes a nifty change kit with filters that you can buy on Amazon or from your local CC dealer and the parts are reuseable again and again.

dirtfan1

Threads
No it’s not a howl just a constant whine. The mower has 250 hours on it but my local cc dealer made mention one time to change the hydro oil filters at 500 hours because mine was a sealed system? I will have to check my manual

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought that machine has the ZT-2800 hydros. If it has a reservoir it's not a sealed unit.

SidecarFlip

Threads
It's sealed in the sense that it's a closed system but really not 'sealed' in the sense that you cannot access it for fluid / filter changes. Any drive unit that has a spin on filter will also have an access port on top of the case to refill the unit. Like I said before, Hydro-Gear markets a nice do it yourself change kit with filters, oil and necessary fittings to change the oil and filters. It ain't cheap but the 'parts' in the kit are reuseable over and over. and make changing the oil an easy job.