Toro Recycler 22 with Briggs & Stratton 7.25HP will not start when warm

jslosar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Recycler 22 with Briggs & Stratton 7.25HP will not start when warm
I've read a lot of threads on this issue. I've replaced the ignition coil, the auto-choke spring, battery, spark plug, and filter... The engine starts fine when cold... every time. I noticed that when it is warm, the choke is open (as I believe it should be). But the engine will not start unless I close the choke. When warm, it will only start if I put my hand over the intake (forming a choke with my hand). Fires right up. How fast should the auto-choke reclose after shutting off engine?

(Account Closed)

Threads
I've read a lot of threads on this issue. I've replaced the ignition coil, the auto-choke spring, battery, spark plug, and filter... The engine starts fine when cold... every time. I noticed that when it is warm, the choke is open (as I believe it should be). But the engine will not start unless I close the choke. When warm, it will only start if I put my hand over the intake (forming a choke with my hand). Fires right up. How fast should the auto-choke reclose after shutting off engine?

As your engine sounds to be running lean once warmed up, I'd check the spark plug to check how it's burning.

Does the engine run fine once warmed and at operating speed? If not, I'd suspect a somewhat clogged carberator as you need the choke ON to provide the correct enrichment...

IDK how fast the choke would close once stopped, but if warm, it should either be open, or open immediately..

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
check air filter for replacement & adjust valves per engine manual

Threads
He might have got it running or put it to the curb by now........