All wheel drive for sloped yard

mkitchin

Threads
Please give us an update how the new tires perform vs the turfs.
Bar tires on mine made a massive difference on hills. The same hills that were always a problem with the crappy turfs, or I couldn't mow at all are no problem at all now.
Will do. Shipped out from Simple Tire yesterday. I'll get the wheels off and take them to a local shop this week. Will likely mow on 4/6 or 4/13. Depends on weather.
If I can get things working with bar tires, it will save me a lot of money and keep me on a mower with a simpler drive train.

mkitchin

Threads
Tires are mounted. Can you recommend a PSI for these? The tread looks very aggressive. I would like to start with a PSI that would be the least likely to do damage. See pics.

IMG_20190405_085916.jpgIMG_20190405_085935.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never ran bar tread tires on a ZTR so I don't know what pressure for sure but I think 10 to 12 PSI is a good guess. I gotta say that those look different than the bar tread tires on my buddy's Grasshopper mowers, unless his are plain worn out. I'm a bit concerned for your lawn...

Last edited:

mkitchin

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How big is the lawn you are trying to mow & how rough is it ?
The articulated mowers come in 4wd which is not outragiously expensive.

mkitchin

Threads
Sorry. Just saw the last post. My lawn is about 2 acres. From yard is 75% flat. Back yard is 95% sloped.
The new tires did great. The grip was really good. I was very careful at first, but eventually, I was turning as tight as normal and not tearing anything up. I ran the tires at 12 PSI. There are a couple of places where it did some minor damage, but I think it was less than the factory tires. They definitely weren't slipping, and it was wet. I still think I could do better with a 4WD or front deck mower at some point, but I am definitely okay for now. Thanks for all the tips.

DK35vince

Threads
I run 8 PSI in my Carlisle AT 101 bar tires.