What is with equipment operators "winging" the throttle?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / What is with equipment operators "winging" the throttle?
I was hoping somebody could shed some light on why so many operators of handheld and backpack power equipment constantly "wing" the throttle. I see (hear) this all the time with trimmers and blowers. I understand that it's necessary to vary the throttle, but I see no point in winging the throttle constantly. The only time I do it is to test throttle response to make sure a unit is warmed up and ready to operate. It is fun or something? I see motorcyclists doing this at stop lights too. It seems like juvenile toying to me but maybe I'm missing something?

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I have seen that a lot with chainsaws and string trimmers. I think with two strokes it's poor idle, and users are doing the "whinging" to keep a poorly idling engine from dying. Maybe some simply enjoy the sound, IDK. With motorcycles, they are either nervous, playing, or being jerks.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The throttle lever of my Stihl FS90R has a fairly stiff spring, it's kinda hard to keep my finger holding it in one position as I walk with it, sorta bouncy like, unless I keep it at WOT, which I never do, after awhile my finger gets tired and I have slight arthritis to boot, I have a Maruyama brush-cutter / trimmer, the throttle works perfectly fine but it's got a tank leak I need to fix ... (someday) .. :laughing:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Its more often then not young lads playing with toy's...! and in my mind unnecessary.

Russ2251

Threads
"Winging" is constantly done by a motorcyclist next door to me and it just angers a lot of folks here.
Thanks to guys like him it is no longer a quiet neighborhood.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well on something like a 2 stroke motocross bike on a tight course you kind of have to wing the throttle if you want to avoid the hard hit of the powerband kicking in. I still have one of my kid's bikes. They're really annoying to everyone but the person riding it. I'm sure our neighbors didn't appreciate them, especially going up the hill climb in 2nd gear at full throttle in tandem.