HRX217 Still wont start after cleaning

jellly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Four year old lawn mower worked fine all summer then just wouldn't start. Only way I can get it started is by spraying fluid in the carb but it dies within seconds.
I have never worked on law mowers before so I learned a lot this week troubleshooting.
Below are the steps I took:

1) Removed spark plug, cleaned with wire brush, looks fine.
2) Removed, cleaned gas tank and line. Was expecting a fuel filter but there isn't one in the line. Confirmed lines were clear.
3) Dropped carb bowl and noticed there was a little gas in the bowl and a few water drops but no dirt.
4) Still wouldn't start so I dropped the bowl again and there was little gas in there (no water drops) so I am assuming the gas flow to the carb is fine.
5) Removed and disassembled carb. Removed float, cleaned threaded nozzle and the pin inside with all little holes. Also removed idle screw and clean all other holes. (Watched more than five youtubes on how to do this)
6) Reassembled and installed carb but unfortunately still doesn't start. Yes, fuel valve is open ;)

Any thoughts on what I can try next?

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Wire brushing a modern plug effectively destroys it so toss it & a get a new one.
Resistance increases with pressure so a plug needs to throw a near 1/2" spark in air to be able to spark inside the cylinder.

by virtue that fuel through the carb will cause the engine to fire that means you have enough compression , the valves are working & the ignitions system is working.
The carburettor has 2 distinct circuits, the idle ( starting if you like ) circuit and the high speed running circuit ( the one you have just cleaned ).

Only gasses burn so the carb has a choke to encourage the fuel to flow through the low speed circuit when cold because the low speed circuit vapourises the fuel better than the high speed circuit that requires engine heat to vapourize the liquid fuel drops
On the right side of the exit hole in the carb there is a very small hole, this is where the fuel for starting comes out .
It is connected to a hole in the front of the carb so to check if it is clear we blow air down the hole and feel for it coming out the other end.
Second best thing is some carb cleaner.

To encourage air to travel down this small hole there is a choke on the front of the cab that blocks off most if not all of the main passage so air travels down the primary tube and sucks fuel into the engine.
This choke butterfly must be closed fully for the engine to start.
What usually happens is the outer part of the control cable moves forward over time so it no longer closes off the front of the carb so the engine sucks fuel out of the main jet ( the one you just cleaned ) but when cold it can not vapourize the tiny fuel droplets.
So check that the cable closes the choke completely in the start position, if not move the cable.
It is a balance act the single cable has to pull tight enough to close the choke but when put in the off position it must activate the kill switch ( you can hear it go click )

jellly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response bertsmobile!
I think you're onto something as I noticed the choke cable assembly felt "loose."

Ava.Feret

Threads
I would change the carburetor and gaskets. They are cheap enough. Make sure they are aligned with studs. That should fix your problem.
ALWAYS align with studs.

Roymg

Threads
Four year old lawn mower worked fine all summer then just wouldn't start. Only way I can get it started is by spraying fluid in the carb but it dies within seconds.
I have never worked on law mowers before so I learned a lot this week troubleshooting.
Below are the steps I took:

1) Removed spark plug, cleaned with wire brush, looks fine.
2) Removed, cleaned gas tank and line. Was expecting a fuel filter but there isn't one in the line. Confirmed lines were clear.
3) Dropped carb bowl and noticed there was a little gas in the bowl and a few water drops but no dirt.
4) Still wouldn't start so I dropped the bowl again and there was little gas in there (no water drops) so I am assuming the gas flow to the carb is fine.
5) Removed and disassembled carb. Removed float, cleaned threaded nozzle and the pin inside with all little holes. Also removed idle screw and clean all other holes. (Watched more than five youtubes on how to do this)
6) Reassembled and installed carb but unfortunately still doesn't start. Yes, fuel valve is open ;)

Any thoughts on what I can try next?

Thanks

On some of these mowers there is a small internal fuel filter, in line, at the outlet of the fuel tank. Ck that next time.