Toro 8-25 engine replacement

jjc1957

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Toro Wheel Horse 8-25 which has a bad Techumesh 8 hp engine TVXL195150237. Not rebuildable through a rod cracked block. Looking for a Briggs & Stratton that will fit. The problem with these 8-25 is "looking at the mower from the rear" the right side has the drive chain which gives you around 4 3/4" to the shaft on the engine or 6 1/2" to the support bar. The left side has about 9 1/2" to the support bar. Has anyone fitted a Briggs into one of these tractors? I saw a youtube that had a 10.5 hp Briggs in it but I can't get the owner to give me the model number off the engine. I looked on line and saw a Briggs 21R722-0074 but it needs 8.4" on the right side and I have 6 1/2" to the support bar never mine the drive chain at 4 3/4" IMG_2934[1].JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I really can not follow what you are trying to find out.
Most engines should fit.
All that is important is the shaft diameter , shaft length and the total height from the mounting flanges to the top rail.
The killer with repowering really old mowers is if you are replacing a Side Valve engine with on overhead valve engine is the overall length.
OHV's are longer than SV from the shaft to the end of the head.
Site like Repower, Small Engine Warehous , Small Engine Supplies , all have an engine matching app.
So you type in the mower and / or engine & they will throw up possible replacements.

jjc1957

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem is most engines won’t fit. I have been on many of the websites that sell replacement engines and all have said look at the demensions of the new engine before you order. They will send you the detailed drawing which I have checked and so far no go. The problem with the 8-25 is the engine has very little room to work with on the right side due to the chain and the support bar. My question is has anyone replaced the engine on a Toro 8-25 and if so with what. Just stating most engines fit is not helpful but thanks for your response.