Hustler Raptor wont start.

Alan V

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was mowing along and quickly pulled back on the controls to avoid running over a stump. From that point on the control levers (will call them that since dont know real name) did nothing as engine continued to run. Moved them forward and backward and nothing. Shut off engine and inspected. Engine would not start again. Finally saw that the belt driving the hydro gears was off and the cross member connecting the hydro gears was broken. Jacked up the mower and undid the tension spring, put belt back on correctly and reattached tension spring. Knowing broken cross member still needs replacing I hoped mower would start to drive it back to my shop. Engine still wouldn't. Sitting in seat and Control levers are in start (spread wide into slots) position. Quite sure nothing wrong with engine or electrical. Its as if the control levers not spread wide into start position but they are. I see the buttons that are pressed in when the control levers are spread. It looks like the control levers only push them in half way but I can finger push them in farther. Not sure that makes a difference. Hoping somebody has a simple answer. Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the PTO lever still engaged? It won't start if it is.

Alan V

Forum Newbie
Threads
The red button to engage the mower blades is not pulled out. blades not engaged.

mhavanti

Threads
Alan V.

You beat me to it. lol

Max

Alan V

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alan V.

You beat me to it. lol

Max

Not sure what I beat you to. Just answering the question of whether PTO was engaged or not which it wasn't. Red button pushed in, sitting in the seat, seat switch appears intact, control levers in neutral position and even checked that fuse is ok. All the things to think of for why it wont start but none of them apply. Still at a loss.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
If the battery is OK, the no crank condition almost has to be a safety switch or broken wire.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Parking brake on and engaging switch? I'm presuming you know the start procedure for your machine so didn't mention before. If the parking brake is integrated into the transmission and the mount is broken I wonder if that is preventing the parking brake from contacting the switch properly.

Hopefully one of the mechanics here will chime in.

dfbroxy

Threads
Before you put the belt back on for the hydros did you check that the pulleys would spin? If one is damaged and locked up it could keep the engine from turning over. Its worst case but I would check it before putting money and time into electrical.

mhavanti

Threads
AlanV,

Is there any possibility you may have dislodged the wiring socket from the clutch? If you have a multi-meter, check continuity at the two parking safety switches when the sticks are all the way out. We had a fella on a Raptor that the seat switch was good, however, when he turned in one direction after doing something similar to your move. It would no longer start or would misfire when turning.

It turned out his seat safety switch was not seated well. Once the switch was mounted again properly his problems went away.

Fairly easy fix and easy to check although you have to remove the seat.

Good luck,

Max

Alan V

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before you put the belt back on for the hydros did you check that the pulleys would spin? If one is damaged and locked up it could keep the engine from turning over. Its worst case but I would check it before putting money and time into electrical.

I did not check that but will. But would a locked hydro prevent the starter from even trying to crank the engine. Seems like damaged hydro wouldnt keep the starter from trying to do its job.