Kohler Command CV460S lifter noise

KingPinPerry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone experienced louder lifter noise on a Kohler CV460S ( 16 HP ) engine?

I'm running Kohler 10W-30 motor oil and experiencing lifter noise, especially when the temps get chillier.

The engine has around 200 hours on it and the oil has been changed after every mowing season ( about 10 hrs. per season of run time ).

When the lifter(s) get noisy, I shut it off and push it on a set of ramps for about 10 minutes. Once I push it off the ramps, then the lifter noise diminishes by about 70%...although, it takes another 5 mins. of running before it quiets altogether.

I was pondering switching to a FULL synthetic 10W-30 motor oil and see if it helps the lifters stay quieter.

Anybody experience lifter problems of this nature?

Any advice is welcome.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have read a lot about this lifter noise. Kohler has a kit to fix it or add 1 oz of seafoam to your oil. I would try the seafoam first then contact Kohler if that does not work.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the lifters are making noise after running a few minutes, and it is coming and going. It could be a oil pressure issue, but I am suspecting that you have a lifter that has grooved on the bottom, and when that groove contacts the lobe of the cam it will create a knocking noise. Which can be quite loud at times and will come and go if you keep running the engine as the lifter turns into and out of the groove.

KingPinPerry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've tried Seafoam, but the results were short lived. I also tried Marvel Mystery oil & that gave me the same results as Seafoam...short lived. Now, what would cause the lifter(s) to groove on the bottom? As I stated in my post...the engine has been pampered since new ( oil changes, filters, etc.)

If it's a grooved lifter, then the only solution would be to replace the lifters? I was always told that Kohler manufactured good engines...is that true or false?

Thanks for all of your advice!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The old Command engine were great engines and were about bullet proof. I have seen a few cases where the lifters grooved. Kohler has went through the changes over the years with their lifters due to various issues. Grooving at the bottom, oil hole not large enough or small enough they wouldn't pump up correctly, or bleed down to quickly after the engine was shut off.

KingPinPerry

Forum Newbie
Threads
This Command was manufactured in 2002 and has never given again concerns...until recently. If I replace the lifters with originals ( part number in manual ), then won't this issue possibly occur again in the future? Has Kohler redesigned the lifters, so that it remedies this problem?

I've also seen an article that stated that the lifter noise will not cause any engine damage as long as it disappears within one hour. I guess Kohler engineers feel as though lifters making noise will not cause damage. That's a head scratcher as far as I'm concerned.

Would first trying a 10W-30 full synthetic motor oil be a good idea, or do you think the best way to proceed is simply removing the cylinder head and replacing the lifters?

Thanks again for your assistance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The lifter has been redesigned about 6 times over the years for various reasons. the early lifters were slow to inflate and could take up to an hour to fill with oil and stop making noise. Seems like the lifters are not that expensive and if you go through the trouble of pulling the head then just go ahead and replace them. My issue with the lifters is you have to remove the head on the vertical shaft engines but can remove them without removing the head on the horizontals.

The reason at least what Kohler claims is they groove on the bottom because didn't rotate like there are suppose to. I have never had to go back in an replace them a second time after the initial issue.

KingPinPerry

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, any replacement lifters that I would purchase have been redesigned and should remedy the tapping noise that is present? I'd hate to go thru the work of replacing the lifters with factory identical lifters. Also, do the lifters need pre-loaded prior to installation ( soaked in motor oil and also push down on the lifter with a push rod )?

Thanks for ALL of your information...greatly appreciated!

Mike

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a grooved lifter issue it will fix the tapping issues. Also I tend to soak them in oil, and push down the plunger to get some oil in them, just be careful that you don't overfill them because the valves won't close all the way, either hold the valve open slightly preventing starting until they bleed down, or in the worse case can bend the push rods when the valves bottom out on the springs.