Kohler 17 hp engine blowing white smoke and then dies

mikey531

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 17 hp engine blowing white smoke and then dies
I have a sears craftsman mower 17hp and all of a sudden this started happening to mine. I pulled the air filter off and ran the machine and the oil starts off slow flowing from the breather tube into the air filter box, then it starts flowing like the Nile. Tons of white smoke and starts to shudder and dies. I thought it had to be a head gasket as it ran fine when I parked it 3 weeks ago. I pulled the head and the gasket is fine. so now I think I should have checked the carb first.. anyone have a different idea ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
dip the oil and check the level & smell
It will be high & smell like fuel.
This is because the float valve has not worked and the carb has overflowed into the engine.
You will need to fix the carb , fitting a shut off vale in the fuel line won't hurt either.
Then drain the oil and refill with cheap supermarket oil.
Run the engine for 10 minutes or so then change the oil again and the filter.
Continue till you run out of cheap oil then refill with good mower oil.
Also fit a new head gasket do not reuse the old one no matter how good you think it looks.

mikey531

Forum Newbie
Threads
So now I need to find a head gasket how do I know which one I need? Are all 17hp Kohlers the same? I also didn't look at what I need to set the valves at either guess I need a manual from somewhere thanks !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Kohler 17 hp engine blowing white smoke and then dielms

How mechanically skilled are you? Rebuilding a carb and replacing a head gasket is not a one hour job, even for a service tech. It would take me between 1-2 hours to do the job properly and I’ve done them more offensive that most people. Your questions lead us to believe that your experience with engine repair is limited. If you would provide us with the engines model and spec numbers, we can get you a service manual, but you must realize that you could be your own worst enemy. Without numbers we can’t be of much help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes mikey you will ned a new head gasket.
On the side of the engine will be a decal with the * sicker actually ) with the family and serial numbers on it.
You should make note of these because the decal will eventually fade or fall off.
With those numbers in hand ( you can check here first to make sure they are correct ) you can go to Kohlers web page, customer support & download engine service manual and for some the parts manual as well.
If not then any of the majr on line parts suppliers ( including Kohler themselves ) will have a parts breakdown with the head gasket number on it,

But before we go putting the cart before the horse,
Did you dip the oil & was it too full, thin & smelling like fuel ?

mikey531

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hi I have already taken the head off. I just need the specs to put it back together. I will admit this is the first small engine I have taken apart, but have built and rebuilt auto engines. I basically jumped the gun and went for the worst situation now I have to put it back together.

Thanks
Mike

mikey531

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes mikey you will ned a new head gasket.
On the side of the engine will be a decal with the * sicker actually ) with the family and serial numbers on it.
You should make note of these because the decal will eventually fade or fall off.
With those numbers in hand ( you can check here first to make sure they are correct ) you can go to Kohlers web page, customer support & download engine service manual and for some the parts manual as well.
If not then any of the majr on line parts suppliers ( including Kohler themselves ) will have a parts breakdown with the head gasket number on it,

But before we go putting the cart before the horse,
Did you dip the oil & was it too full, thin & smelling like fuel ?

I went with the cart !!! See above

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Hang in there Mikey.
Take your time. The folks on here will help you get it back together and running right.
If you have the numbers, it'll help a lot with our questions and answers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Hi I have already taken the head off. I just need the specs to put it back together. I will admit this is the first small engine I have taken apart, but have built and rebuilt auto engines. I basically jumped the gun and went for the worst situation now I have to put it back together.

Thanks
Mike

Missed this Mike.
Kohler have all of there service manuals up on line as a free download. you just need to enter your full model numbers to get them
Think the parts breakdowns are there as well.
Other than that K & T parts warehouse have just about all of the availible service manuals & IPLs on their site .

mikey531

Forum Newbie
Threads

Missed this Mike.
Kohler have all of there service manuals up on line as a free download. you just need to enter your full model numbers to get them
Think the parts breakdowns are there as well.
Other than that K & T parts warehouse have just about all of the availible service manuals & IPLs on their site .

I found everything on Amazon and I am going to put an inline fuel shutoff and just run it out when I am done mowing. I also got all the specs from the Kohler web site I just wish I had thought of this before I took it apart ! Thanks for the help !!!