Engine wont fully turn over

dbacion

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine wont turn over to start is it the starter or compression release problem.
21hp Briggs and Stratton engine about 5 years old

Walt 2002

Threads
Engine wont turn over to start is it the starter or compression release problem.
21hp Briggs and Stratton engine about 5 years old

Can't really tell from here. I can send you detailed instructions which include a test for compression release. Those engines do have a history of compression release failure. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

dbacion

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't really tell from here. I can send you detailed instructions which include a test for compression release. Those engines do have a history of compression release failure. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

How Can I get the detailed instructions on how to test for the compression release

Jrork

Forum Newbie
Threads
How Can I get the detailed instructions on how to test for the compression release

Having just gone thru this myself. Try these steps

Pull the sparkplug and see if the motor spins over. If it does, go the the next step. If it doesn't look look into the electrical system

If the motor spins over without the sparkplug installed but won't with it installed, pull the valve cover and adjust the valves. In doing so, watch for a small secondary bump on the rockers that would indicate the compression release is working. If after adjusting the valves, it still doesnt turn over and you don't see the little bump on the rockers, you probably lost the compression release. This was what mine was. It's a pretty simple job if you have the tools and a bit of a shadetree mechanic.

Good luck....john