Wrong V belt?

jbw9@comcast.net

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears that my Craftsman Lawn Tractor model 917.289240, needs a new belt. I can engage the blade clutch but the blades do not turn. I purchased 2 different after market belts that should fit. However, with one, it was way too short to even get completely installed. I returned it and purchased another belt. The second belt, I was able to install, but it was so tight that my mower only started reluctantly and sounded very strained. The blades turned even without the clutch being engaged. So I removed the mower deck, gave it a thorough inspection and cleaning and reinstalled the original belt. The motor operated perfectly, started easily, but when engaging the clutch, the blades did not turn. At this point I'm wondering if the belts I ordered were not exactly right. My next thought is to get an OEM belt, which of course costs 2-3 times more. Just wondering if there might be something I'm missing. Thanks for your help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
belts by & large do not stretch, they get thinner so go loose in the V .
So for starters try measuring the the circumference of the belt that is the belt size.
Generally craftsman have a sticker under the hood listing the belts & blades.
On mowers with manual blade engagement he exact length & width of the belt is vital as it the right kind of belt.
They must be kevlar fibre belts that are wrapped

jbw9@comcast.net

Forum Newbie
Threads
belts by & large do not stretch, they get thinner so go loose in the V .
So for starters try measuring tomorrow he the circumference of the belt that is the belt size.
Generally craftsman have a sticker under the hood listing the belts & blades.
On mowers with manual blade engagement he exact length & width of the belt is vital as it the right kind of belt.
They must be kevlar fibre belts that are wrapped
Thanks for the insight. This explains why the belt has failed to engage the turning of the blades.