New yard machines 46" mower - cuts WAY too low

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
yes the blade is on upside down.
That will raise the cutting height a whopping 1.25" which on a mower with a max height of 4.5" is just under 30%.
When you adjust the deck height you do the rear then the front.
If you just raise the front you will end up cutting lower because the nose will dive down.
You could try moving the round rods with the R clips forward 1 hole.
This will both raise the deck and move it backwards.
Be careful doing this because the pulleys can end up fouling under the mower and the belt will be pulled tighter so the blades might not dissengage.
Even worse, they stop the just as you are going over something they start up again.

rhwimmers

Threads
You could try moving the round rods with the R clips forward 1 hole.
This will both raise the deck and move it backwards.

It seems the other holes on this are smaller than the ones being used and those rods wouldn't fit in there?

Also, in regards to the belt being twisted- do I need to replace it or just untwist it? The blades engage just fine so wondering what the twisted belt would cause?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The V part needs to ride inside the drive and spindle pulleys with the flat part on the idler pulleys. Otherwise it can slip and not drive the blades properly. You can try just untwisting it but once they get like that theycan get a memory of sorts and want to revert back to being twisted.

rhwimmers

Threads
Ok - took the deck off again and confirmed the blades are indeed on the right direction (unless they stamped grass side on the wrong side of the blade!!).
I took several more pictures showing it all in detail with the deck removed and flipped over.

Thanks for any advice - would love to get this working before I have to put it away for winter. Ha!

rhwimmers

Threads
Ok - took the deck off again and confirmed the blades are indeed on the right direction (unless they stamped grass side on the wrong side of the blade!!).
I took several more pictures showing it all in detail with the deck removed and flipped over.

Thanks for any advice - would love to get this working before I have to put it away for winter. Ha!

forgot to link the pictures

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ggK9vRKtYPDuw1yAA

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Yours is an MTD product. There are different types of blades that will fit your spindles. Some are straight, with the turned up lifts on the end, some are bent downward, then go straight. It seems you need the ones that go straight off the spindle, and you probably have the type of blades that are bent down well over an inch, maybe up to two inches, then go straight out. It depends which spindles are on your deck. I would say the problem is you have the wrong blades.

"Down" refers to the direction of the blades when properly installed.

The same potential problem exists with the Cub Cadet (MTD also) mowers. There are blades with identical lengths and center holes that fit different models. The pre 2015 blades are bent downward and the 2015 plus blades are straight. They will make a difference of about 1.5 to 2 inches in the height of cut.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From that last batch of photos, which again are not the best.
You really need to shoot as square on as possible because oblique perspectives are very confusing.
If the front drag ling as shown in picture 5 is as high as it shows, the deck can not be run any higher.
Height of cut is measured from the ground to the outer tips of the blades.
On low end domestic ride ons this is around 3" to 4".
This might not translate to a 4" cut on your grass.

To work safely on your lawn, the deck needs to be able to rise around 1" higher than it's maximum height setting to prevent it scalping the grass.

If you want a higher cut then looks for a garden tractor which generally have a higher maximum cut or a rough cut ( bush hog etc ) mower which has a much higher cut .

You can go look for bigger wheels or fit taller tyres front & back.
People get confused with the numbers on the beck height lever.

Many are marked 1 to 4 with an unmarked notch between them and people instantly think it means 1" to 4" but that is a deliberate deception.
Mowers marked like that , regardless of brand, rarely cut any higher than 3"
Pumping the tyres up an extra 5 to 10 psi will also lift the cut but that also makes for a rough ride as all of the suspension action is in the soft tyres.
Tyres also wear and new a lot of them have 1/2" of thread depth so by the time they wear to just a flat pattern,you have lost 1/2" of cut height.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Bert,
He has to have the wrong blades on. I have seen two types of otherwise identical MTD blades. The bent ones will be about 1.5 to 2 inches lower at the tips when installed than the straight ones.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me they look like the std mulching blades.
Never had them side by side to check despite having 79 different bar blades in stock, all of the MTD blades with the same mounting look like they cut at the same height.
However armed with what you have just said I will keep an eye out.