Buying Advice Cannot find info on Simplicity Champion XT and Briggs Commercial Series engine

Canadave

Threads
  • / Cannot find info on Simplicity Champion XT and Briggs Commercial Series engine
My 15 year old Simplicity Conquest blew up and I'm looking for a replacement. It was a wonderful tractor and I'm considering a new one or a Champion XT zero turn. My biggest concern is the reputation, reliability etc. of the Commercial Series engine which comes with both. If it was the good 'ol reliable Vanguard that came with my now dead Conquest the decision would be easy. Until it caught fire which I don't think has anything to do with it being a Vanguard since my Conquest ran like new for 15 years. I can't find any good recommendations or reviews on the Commercial Series engine anywhere on the net. If I can't find anything I may play safe and get a John Deere zero turn which comes with the Kawasaki FS730V engine which appears to have an excellent reputation. I actually ordered a John Deere X380 tractor on the promise that the deck was easy to remove and re-install which turned out to be utter BS so I sent it back. It made me appreciate the easy to remove deck on the Conquest. My only reservations with a zero turn is servicing the deck (cleaning and replacing blades) and the angle that it can cut. The Simplicity site states that it's only recommended for a max of 18 degrees whereas my elevated laneway is maybe a a max of 30 degrees at spots. I spoke to a guy at the local Husqvarna dealership who said that he cuts a much steeper grade with ease with a Husqvarna zero turn. The options may be to get a mower lift for a zero turn or go back to the Conquest and have no confidence with the Commercial Series engine.