poulan pro 22hp dont start

Freedom

Threads
This weekend, my tractor started and no started erratically. I did not hear the solenoid noise

I measure my battery, 12V ok
I put in parallel my car battery, it did not solve the problem (btw I connect my car battery, then I started the car motor, later I have heard is not a good idea)
I will test the solenoid with a tester, there is a fuse also to check? where is it?

Any ideas?

(my mower is new has only 50 hours)

Thanks

F

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you start, pull the spark plug & try to rotate the engine by hand.
No use checking the electrics if you have a hydraulic lock, seized engine or jambed belt overloading the stater motor.
Assuming the engine turns freely.

I like to start from the starter motor and go backwards .
Do the following 5 tests, regardless of the results from an or all of them as there can be more than one problem and you want to isolate where the problem lies.
Elimination of individual parts is important so you know by the end, the battery, solenoid & heavy power circuits are all in good order.

1) try to jump the starter motor directly from your car or truck.
+ on the starter first then - to a good ground near the starter ( drain plug of lift hook are good )
Starter turns = starter good

2) do the same directly from the mowers battery
Starter turns = mower battery good
No turn = duff battery, recharge it & try again.

3) check for voltage ( + 12V ) at the solenoid trigger wire with the key in start position
3a) same with ground trigger wire ( 4 wire solenoid ) or body of solenoid ( 3 wire solenoid)
( I like to test V from the battery hot terminal to ground terminal rather than ohms as they give funny readings )

4) leave ground jumper in place ( from step 2 ) & try key start.
Starter turns = power connection good but ground connection suspect ( most common )
Confirm it by trying again, extra ground removed

5) Remove the trigger ( thin ) wire / wires from the solenoid.
Ground one on a 4 wire solenoid & bridge from the hot terminal to the other.
Starter cranks = solenoid good.
Solenoid is not polarity sensitive, BUT THE WIRING IS so make sure you remove the thin control wires.
Note a thinner wire on the hot terminal is not a control wire. It is the main power feed to the mower.

From here on things become very mower dependant as starting circuits are getting changed all the time.
Basically the power goes in a loop from the hot side of the solenoid ( saves wire, no other reason ) through the fuse to the B terminal on the key switch then to the PTO switch then to the parking brake switch then to the solenoid trigger switch , easy peasy after you grow the 3rd arm. Use a test lamp and follow the power.
However a lot of mowers with a 4 pole solenoid, run a secondary ground control circuit to the ground solenoid wire through the lap bars.
Then to stop this interfearing with the normal safety function of the ground kill, it goes to a relay with the ground as the switched connection.
These are a PIA as the + control wire to the relay comes from the power loop above and the ground side of the control comes via the normal cut out functions of the lap bars.
Be very careful because if you have a system like this and accidentally send 12V down the ground loop you can fry the magnetos on some circuits.nd from the grounding bolt to one of the starter mounting bolts & paint over both with liquid electrical tape.

Freedom

Threads
Thanks Bert!
I have some doubts but I will read your tips carefully

F

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do the tests and post the results.
From there some one will be able to walk you through a repair or further testing.
Posting the entire proceedure end up being several pages and you caoul have just downloaded a service manual if that is what you wanted.
Lots of people here with lots of experience in fixing mowers.

Freedom

Threads
Hi,

I think the problem is on the battery (one year use) or the voltage regulator.

1) Starter works ok, solenoid works ok. Sometimes mower does not start.

2) I measure the battery voltage, 11 V, then I put this battery to charge for one hour

3) Measure the battery voltage, 12V. Mower starts ok.

4) I start the mower, take out the battery and then I measure the 2 wires connected to the battery, (output of the alternator) exactly 12 V !
I wanted to see 13 or 14 V. Could be the voltage regulator?

5) I use it for 3 hours without any problems, it started ok

6) Perhaps the measure in point 4 is not appropiate?

Any tips?
F

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
!2 V at the battery terminals is too low.
It should be 13 to 15 V
To give more specific teats we need to know the make model & serial / family of the engine.
There are a variety of alternators & voltage regulations systems from a single diode to a full wave bridge rectifier

SidecarFlip

Threads
Any flooded cell battery that measures 12 volts sitting is discharged. It must measure at least 13 to 13.5 volts.

Freedom

Threads
thanks for your answer,

The data of the Poulan are:

PB 22 VA48
Model, 44 R 677
type 0032 G1 (or perhaps 61?)

code, 15 01 16 YG

Briggs Straton, 15 01 16 YG 888 25

ok?
thanks!
F