GCV160

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Friend of mine brought over his newly acquired HRX217 TDA. Push mower with the honda Overhead cam. Got it from an estate sale. Apparently sat for about 2 years in the weather. No spark, I have a new coil and plug in the way and the carburetor, I'll let the pictures do the talking!!!IMG_20181006_182208_hdr.jpg
IMG_20181006_182159_hdr.jpg
The main "passage way" going up into it was clogged solid. I'm assuming this is what high ethanol fuel does when it sits.?

SidecarFlip

Threads
Honda GC's are basicaly throw away motors anyway. Japanese junk.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Next once i get the carb kit in, i'll open the valve cover and look at the rocker arms. I know they are known for getting cracks in the arms, especially the exhaust arm.

Threads
Next once i get the carb kit in, i'll open the valve cover and look at the rocker arms. I know they are known for getting cracks in the arms, especially the exhaust arm.

Scrub a carb kit ???? Do you have a Ultrasonic cleaner ???? That might be the only way to clean that carb Buddy ~!~!

BTW your Honda is made in Japan great engine ~!~!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Scrub a carb kit ???? Do you have a Ultrasonic cleaner ???? That might be the only way to clean that carb Buddy ~!~!

Well I say carb kit, New gaskets for mounting is what I should have said.:confused2:
I got it cleaned up real nice with some carb cleaner. I need to take an after picture

SidecarFlip

Threads

Normally, I don't disagree with your wisdom but in this case, I do. The GC Series is a disposa-motor. It's junk, from the pressure die casting to the plastic cam belt inside. I had 2 and both went south, one tossed a rod, the other, the belt broke and scrambled the valves and American Honda would not provide and closure. I'd rather have a no oil B&S than a Honda GC. In fact, both motors were replaced with HF Preds. Never had any issues with HF motors at all. Cheap and reliable.

Not sure where the GC is made, China, Japan or India but it's junk none the less.

Threads
Normally, I don't disagree with your wisdom but in this case, I do. The GC Series is a disposa-motor. It's junk, from the pressure die casting to the plastic cam belt inside. I had 2 and both went south, one tossed a rod, the other, the belt broke and scrambled the valves and American Honda would not provide and closure. I'd rather have a no oil B&S than a Honda GC. In fact, both motors were replaced with HF Preds. Never had any issues with HF motors at all. Cheap and reliable.

Not sure where the GC is made, China, Japan or India but it's junk none the less.
No problem Mon Ami .............I think the newer Honda's need to go back to the engineering dept. and go back to the older quality stuff ~!~!