Why are there not grease fittings on the front wheel spindles?

tigercat

Threads
  • / Why are there not grease fittings on the front wheel spindles?
Some operators have drilled a small hole in the cap to allow the air to vent and grease to show and leave the grease fittings installed to reduce the time spent during a 200-500 hour lube.

That's a clever idea. I never thought of that. If your afraid of dirt getting in after the hole is made, just put a drop of sealant on the hole.

The next time I visit the garage, I'm drilling the cap. It's all your fault Mad Mackie! Thanks for the post.

SidecarFlip

Threads
1/4 x 28 tap and a box of alemite fittings is all you need.

tigercat

Threads
1/4 x 28 tap and a box of alemite fittings is all you need.

On my machine they had plugs installed, just remove them and screw in grease fittings. It couldn't be easier to improve.

SidecarFlip

Threads
My M60 tank came with alemite fittings on both front spindles and I've bumped into all sorts of 'stuff' from house foundations and trees over the years and I never broke one off. I did bend both anti scalp wheel mounts on the front of the deck so I took the deck off,took my Hyper Therm and cut off the OEM wheel mounts and fabricated and welded on real wheel mounts I made from 1/4" steel plate. They don't bend now. While I was at it. I made the mounts so I could mount generic (much less expensive) anti scalp wheels too. I buy the cheap Oregon plastic wheels and bore them and insert a bronze bushing inside. They last a couple years in our sandy loam and get replaced.