Pony won't move forward unless I hold gear selector constantly

Dimchesrq

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Pony won't move forward unless I hold gear selector constantly
Hello all,

I have 2006 troy built pony and it's been workin fine until recently. The pony won't move from standstill in the forward gear, when i release the clutch it just makes noise but doesn't go. I have to actually HOLD the lever forward and then it works normally. Once it starts moving I don't always have to hold it but sometimes I do need to push the lever forward a bit occasionally. I looked at the parts diagram and I'm looking whether it's just something with the shift linkage and plunger (27) I tried unscrewing the nut (9) and doing whatever adjustment I can on (33) but either there's nothing I can adjust or I just don't know.

When I hold the gear selector forward the plunger (27) move like a few millimeters more in toward the transmission and the gear bites. Can't believe just a few millimeters are making difference.

I appreciate any help god bless.

drive.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Pony won't move forward unless I hold gear selector constantly
I would start with inspecting the drive belts and the variable pulley and the engine pulley. Make sure the variable pulley isn't sticking, make sure the engine pulley groove isn't smooth all the way to the bottom of the groove which would be the belt bottoming out. Check the condition of the two belts, and if recently changed were they OEM belts or just generic off the shelf belt.

the other possibility is then the shift collar and drive gears inside the tranny are worn. The collar and gears have notches, When you shift from forward to reverse the collar slides to engage the notches in the gear. They are normally squared edges but will wear over time and become ramped shaped, which will allow the notches to slip from one to the next. Will have a jerky feel to it when they first start slipping , but will get worse as time goes on to the point that you have.