Motor ran, then I laid it on its side to install pully. Tied up now

Ida-Boy

Threads
  • / Motor ran, then I laid it on its side to install pully. Tied up now
I picked up an 11hp B&S which was running when I bought it. Had it home and laid it on its side to install a pully to use on my Swisher swing blade machine. Now I barely can get a half turn of the crank and she locks up. What could have happened to the motor while on its side? The guy I picked up the motor from re-seated the valves and installed a new head gasket... and it was running at the point when I bought it.
The only thing that I did was swap out the carb and linkage, installed pully on the shaft and fresh oil.
I did pull the plug yesterday and she will still only turn about half a revolution.

kwgerloff

Threads
Pull the spark plug out. The motor is hydro locked from oil getting into the cylinder.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Pull the spark plug out. The motor is hydro locked from oil getting into the cylinder.

Yes, spark plug is pulled but I still can only rotate the shaft about 1/2 a turn. I may even try and blow a little air into the spark plug hole to see if anything comes out.

EDIT: I was able to back the engine a good turn, maybe a turn and a half but when I hit the starter it gets to a point and she locks up. That is with the spark plug out and after I hit the spark plug hole with a couple shots of air from the compressor.
I am not mechanically inclined of the internals working but it seems there is a point that the engine will not spin forward. Without the plug in the head I would think it should spin very freely.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Which was running when I bought it" Did you see it run?

Is the pulley rubbing on anything?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In a quiet spot turn the engine backwards & forward.
If you hear a klunk that seems tobe coming from the top of the engine then pull the flywheel and check for something stuck in the magnets.
If it squeals & stops then you have bent the crankshaft

Ida-Boy

Threads
"Which was running when I bought it" Did you see it run?

Yes, It was running when I bought it. It actually ran here at my house for about 5 minutes or so. I had it mounted on the plate of the machine and the belt slipped off the idler pully and started to smoke so I shut it down. I readjusted the pully on the motor shaft, worked on the idler pully and even installed a new belt on the machine. Then the first pull the recoil screwed up, so I had to work on that. An hour later when I put the recoil back on she wouldn't go more than 1/2 a turn.

Is the pulley rubbing on anything?

**Update** I pulled the pully off to make sure nothing down on the bottom was binding and no change. So I said time to pull the head. No problems up top, so whatever is binding at a certain point must be on the bottom end. I just can't understand what may have happened, other than the 30 Wt oil I put in it was something different than what was in it before. Strange because it seemed to idle good, no smoke and was not noisy at all. Some of the original oil leaked out while it laid in my shop for a month so I drained it and added all fresh.

At this point I am giving up on that motor. If the problem is on the bottom end, which where else could be the issue, I am not going to open it up.
Thanks for your replys

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much oil did you put in it? The correct amount of oil could not cause this.

Ida-Boy

Threads
How much oil did you put in it? The correct amount of oil could not cause this.

I gave it 24 OZ which brought it up to the top of the safe range. I did pull the head and there is a noise is coming from the lower end. Its an 11 hp B&S

SidecarFlip

Threads
I gave it 24 OZ which brought it up to the top of the safe range. I did pull the head and there is a noise is coming from the lower end. Its an 11 hp B&S

I see we are neighbors. I'm in Petersburg.

dfbroxy

Threads
Could be something went amiss with the counterweight when you turned it over. Hopefully when you pull the engine apart it will just go back together. Take lots of pics and pay close to the timing dots on cam and crank. If you need further please post make and model from engine so we know what your looking at.