Problem with Honda Harmony 2113 Hydro, won't start

vonoretn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Problem with Honda Harmony 2113 Hydro, won't start
I have some questions about this tractor... It cranks fine, just won't start, yet it was running yesterday, something suddenly changed. The primary coil resistance seems very low, like 0.9 ohm. The secondary is about 11K ohm If anyone has a clear engine wiring diagram that is readable, I could sure use it.

Mower engine3.jpg

Mower label1.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the small wire off the coil and check for spark.
If you get one then the electrical system in the mower has a short or malfunctioning switch.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section.

vonoretn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the small wire off the coil and check for spark.
If you get one then the electrical system in the mower has a short or malfunctioning switch.

Thanks. I get spark. I have the plastic red top off. I have shorted the 4 "safety switches", all of which are normally open. The the parking brake, the blade switch, in-neutral-gear-switch and the seat. With all 4 switches diagnostically shorted, everything works, the starter and it runs fine. One design problem with this tractor is that it is impossible separate the throttle switch from the top red body, to run the engine properly with the top off. The first 3 switches all relate to the starter, the seat switch relates to 12 volts to power the relay, I think. Not sure what the next step is. I sure would like a good resolution colored wiring diagram for this tractor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cranking circuit is battery -fuse - B terminal on key switch - S terminal on key switch- PTO switch -parking Brake switch- solenoid trigger wire.

So some where in that loop is a bad switch or broken wire.

You seem to have your finger on the pulse.

If that has a Peerless gear box there might be a neutral switch on the box as well.

I like to pull the plug on the key switch and jump the B & S then test the circuit for voltage to ground before & after all of the switches.

vonoretn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. What is the purpose of the diode? I assume the regulator rectifier is to convert the charging current to DC, to charge the battery. Attached is a low resolution electrical diagram I got from another forum, I would love to get a high resolution electrical diagram, as the wire color text is hard to read.

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.jpg
    Wiring diagram.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can not read the diagram at all.
A diode is simply a check valve for electricity because electricity can flow in either direction on a wire.
I will hazard a guess that it is what is used to allow the parking brake switch to be used by both the starting circuit and the operator present circuit.
Generally they use a double switch but you can use a single switch with a diode.
Test it by doing a resistance test and swapping the test leads.
shound have no resistance one way and infinate resistance the other way

vonoretn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Attached is an enhanced wiring diagram, where I went back through all the colored wires on this tractor, and added the actual color, to the low resolution electrical diagram previously supplied. Note that my "dashes", just signify that each wire has a continuous double color stripe, not dashed. Does this help our conversation?

I am hesitant to reassemble the red top to the tractor, because it takes over an hour to either remove it, or restore it. You have to reconnect then engine throttle cable, the steering wheel, temporarily locate the gear lever so it fits through the slot, remove the battery and reinstall. Add to that, the plastic top doesn't fit over the brake release lever without 2 people stretching and bending the body, and the lever cannot be removed or replaced with the cover on.

Are there any other diagnostics I should run with the top off? There is no neutral switch on the transmission. Last status, engine runs with cover off, with all 4 safety switches artificially closed with spaded U wires.

I appreciate all the insights provided by you readers so far. Thanks.

Wiring diagram2-90Asm.jpg

Last edited:

vonoretn

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I spent an hour and a half putting the top on the lawn tractor, and it won't crank, the starter relay doesn't click. Nothing works. I am disgusted. This modular top makes diagnostics extremely difficult. You can't get at any of the key electric components with the top on.