Kohler CH20S

cbladel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although this motor is not on a lawn mower I do have this same engine but runs fine. I am not a mechanic what so ever so I am sorry if this is confusing.

I have a Kohler model CH20S on a welding machine I recently purchased. The fuel pump went out on the valve cover. Everything was fine as far as engine operation until it went out. I ordered a brand new valve cover and fuel pump from the internet, recieved it in the mail, installed it the same way the old one was removed. Now when I start the motor, having to use the choke, it will run full RPM's for a moment, then try to die. I take the choke off it will run for just a second. If i can pull the choke before it dies i can usually keep it running while working the choke in and out. If i put it on low idle it will immediately die, but will at least run pretty crappy on high idle.

I spoke with the neighborhood drug induced small engine mechanic and he suggested the pump pushing to much fuel. He doesn't have a shop of his own and he insist of coming to my house to fix it for me. I value my property and all my belongings to much to just let anybody work on my stuff. I've already taken the carb off and cleaned it, it looked fine. I've changed the spark plugs hoping maybe the new pump just fouled the old ones. I am out of ideas. any suggestions would be great. Thank you all for any help you can give.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you have the mechanical pump integral with the left rocker cover ?
Are you sure you have it hooked up right way round ?
Check by cranking the engine with the carb end of the hose higher than the carb,
Should shoot fuel at least 2" higher than the height of the carb inlet.
After that it sounds like time for a rebuild kit in the carb.
The single barrel carb is prone to hardening of the float which will develop a crack thus no longer float.
The old pump could have allowed bits of rubber through the fuel lines which are now blocking or partially blocking the fuel inlet.

Please take photos of the carb linkages as Kohler have a single throttle plate which is used for every application thus it is very confusing when you go to hook it back up again,
Which wire in what hole & where did that spring go ?

Kohler service manuals are available from Kohler direct as a free download and if wort comes to worst they are all on the K & T web page https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/

Threads
It sounds like the same guy that was in town here for about 2 to 3 months charging a bench fee of 20 bucks just to check a engine out.... Then a 40 bux bench fee for a pressure washer .... Cause there are more parts, then a 80 dollar bench fee for a riding mower...... Way more parts he said to check out.........

Of course the fee will be deducted from the final bill, which the owner never got cause he said everything was junk and not worth fixing.....

Well he is still in jail somewhere in Texas cause his crack head wife turned him in for a bounty jump....

Does a 20 bux bench fee sound like a 20 bux rock to me ???? Yep he was a Rock Star with no Guitar...........

I agree with Bert on his diagnosis............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something to check is the fuel solenoid on the carb. Since Kohler engines only shut off the main jet in the carb and not the idle, it is possible to start and run the engine on choke, and they will run on choke, and when you push the choke in they will die but you can work the choke and keep them running. So I would check the fuel solenoid to make sure it isn't sticking in the closed position. Should hear a click when you turn the key on and off.