Drive wheel locks up

Phillyfella2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRR 2169 VKA. I was having a problem trying to pull the mower backwards and read about bushings on the drive shaft being the issue. I pulled each wheel and lubed them first with WD40 and the white silicone grease. The wheels now back up easier but the left one will suddenly lock up going forward. I can “free” the wheel for about 8 yards and it will re-lock. Is this likely the result of inadvertently flipping the 12 tooth pinion gear?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section to see if we can find you an answer.

Phillyfella2

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section to see if we can find you an answer.

Issue resolved. The pinion gear WAS reversed. The gear has a punch mark on one side. That mark should face the mower on the left side and the outside on the right side.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Issue resolved. The pinion gear WAS reversed. The gear has a punch mark on one side. That mark should face the mower on the left side and the outside on the right side.

Glad you found the problem!

Roymg

Threads

Try on the wheel, that's locking up going forward, reversing the gear on that wheel. Seems every time I fool with taking those wheels and gears apart I always get into this problem and have to revisit the gearing.