Imposssible to re attach rear spring

rigoletto

Threads
People,

MTD mower, 1998, 42" mowing deck. Replaced the V belt (removed the entire deck), and now need to attach that 7" or so rear spring to the "hook" on rear axle. It is soooo stiff, how does one do it? tried needle nose pliers, crow bar, etc...

Thanks.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
People,

MTD mower, 1998, 42" mowing deck. Replaced the V belt (removed the entire deck), and now need to attach that 7" or so rear spring to the "hook" on rear axle. It is soooo stiff, how does one do it? tried needle nose pliers, crow bar, etc...

Thanks.

Need more info. look under seat for MODEL # ... see EXAMPLES below........ PICS of deck/spring would be very helpful

ID 4.PNG...ID 1.PNG

rigoletto

Threads
ok, WHILE iVE BEEN WAITING iVE BEEN PLAYING AROUND WITH THE SPRING, AND NO WAY i CAN PULL WITH SO MUCH FORCE AS TO HOOK IT TO THE BRACKET . I know some people here must have done this before, as it is the only way to replace the V belt- the one that turns the 2 blade pulleys. So, ive come up with an idea- I will drain the gas tank, and motor oil, then turn the entire mower upside down, and get a better leverage vantage point. Worth a try as no other way.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok, WHILE iVE BEEN WAITING iVE BEEN PLAYING AROUND WITH THE SPRING, AND NO WAY i CAN PULL WITH SO MUCH FORCE AS TO HOOK IT TO THE BRACKET . I know some people here must have done this before, as it is the only way to replace the V belt- the one that turns the 2 blade pulleys. So, ive come up with an idea- I will drain the gas tank, and motor oil, then turn the entire mower upside down, and get a better leverage vantage point. Worth a try as no other way.

I tie a cord/small rope to the spring and a loop handle for my hand and pull. It's best to have a second person to either do the pulling or make sure the belt stays on the pulleys and to to connect the spring. You can just cut the rope if it's on the wrong side of the post to slide off the spring rather than bothering to untie it.

rigoletto

Threads
Wow, thats a great method! I will try it tomorrow!!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Tie the mower so it cannot scoot, tie a rope to the spring, rope to a come along attached to a tree or trailer hitch, or other relatively fixed object. Pull with the come along until the spring will almost hook, pull sideways to hook the spring, release mower or come along, and cut the rope free of the spring. Wear face shield or good safety glasses while anything is under tension.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a lot of spring hooks (Google them ) most home made.
So it is a matter of finding one where I can put both feet against the axle and then pull the spring with leg / back muscles.

Have used the "come along" method and a pry bar with a tie wire loop.
After a while found it was easier to attach the spring first then pull the deck forward to mount the deck.

Set the deck in mow mode also as this position has less tension on the deck spring.
And you do not have to remove the spring to replace the belt but a bit late for that now.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a Trampoline Spring Pull Tool