Imposssible to re attach rear spring

SidecarFlip

Threads
I use large needle nose Vice Grips. No spring is too stout to pull that way.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tie a cord/small rope to the spring and a loop handle for my hand and pull. It's best to have a second person to either do the pulling or make sure the belt stays on the pulleys and to to connect the spring. You can just cut the rope if it's on the wrong side of the post to slide off the spring rather than bothering to untie it.

THIS is the best way I have found to do this also... I learned it doing my cars brake springs on drum brakes ..... :thumbsup:

wilburn cox

Threads
I use a Trampoline Spring Pull Tool
This is a good idea reynoldston. I have this same mower and several years ago I became tired of dealing with this spring. I took a long narrow screw driver heated the tip and bent it into a curl to hook to the spring. Then a 8 inch piece of 1/4" bar stock, cut a notch in the middle of the bar so it would slide over the screw driver just below the handle. Removed all the sharp edges and burrs on the bar stock so it would not damage my hands.The screw driver has a hard plastic handle and so far has stayed attached to the screw driver. I place both feet on the rear axle and pull back like heck until spring is attached. I also place an old seat cushion behind me in case something gives and my head does not crash backward. This method has worked well for me. Hope it helps. "Red" Cox

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tie the mower so it cannot scoot, tie a rope to the spring, rope to a come along attached to a tree or trailer hitch, or other relatively fixed object. Pull with the come along until the spring will almost hook, pull sideways to hook the spring, release mower or come along, and cut the rope free of the spring. Wear face shield or good safety glasses while anything is under tension.
I like your method. I just wanted to add that a ratchet strap can be substituted for a come-along for short distance pulling.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
a rope or a brake spring tool if it fits is a good solution to most spring issues - just watch your eyes and hands if the spring gets loose.

stevestd

Threads
I tie a cord/small rope to the spring and a loop handle for my hand and pull. It's best to have a second person to either do the pulling or make sure the belt stays on the pulleys and to to connect the spring. You can just cut the rope if it's on the wrong side of the post to slide off the spring rather than bothering to untie it.

When you don't have someone to help, trying using this technique; I put the spring on first, tension it by tying a rope around the pulley arm and pulling it so it is fully extended, then tie it off on a secure spot on the mower (I use the rear guard). Find the most accessible pulley on the deck and remove the cover guard. Slide the belt over this (last) pulley whist rotating it if required.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you don't have someone to help, trying using this technique; I put the spring on first, tension it by tying a rope around the pulley arm and pulling it so it is fully extended, then tie it off on a secure spot on the mower (I use the rear guard). Find the most accessible pulley on the deck and remove the cover guard. Slide the belt over this (last) pulley whist rotating it if required.

Good idea. I've done something similar but I pull the belt with one hand to extend the arm after putting the spring on. Success depends on just how snug the belt is because the outside of the pulley is larger than the inside and how stiff the spring is. A word of warning about rotating the belt onto the pulley; make sure there are no sharp burrs/edges on the outside of the pulley first! I nicked up a brand new belt once doing that.