2 different engines 3 different carburetors and still flooding gas into oil

Gt5002003

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2 different engines 3 different carburetors and still flooding gas into oil
Hi I am new here, I have an old 2005 Poulan Pro BB18542LT. It originally had the 18.5 Briggs and Stratton single ohv intek engine. I now have same type engine except its 15.5 hp. I can not get this mower to stop flooding gas into the oil. It started with the 18.5 engine and I purchased a complete brand new carburetor with new fuel solenoid. Still flooded gas into oil. It ruined the motor so I purchased the used 15.5 hp motor and still have same problem. I checked to make sure the fuel solenoid plug was getting power and it is. What can be causing these motors to flood so badly? Is there a certain way the fuel solenoid plug has to be plugged in because it will go in either way and I can here it click when the ignition switch is on no matter which way I plug it in. This thing is about to drive me crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only way that it can get gas into the oil is the float valve is not sealing allowing the fuel to overfill the carb and run down the intake into the cylinder and past the ring, or run back into the breather tube into the crankcase. The float valve is damaged, the seat is damaged, the float has gas in it and is sinking, or in some rare cases the carb bowl vent gets clogged, or blocked by a gasket or something else which will cause siphoning.

Threads
I agree with IL engine on the carb issues....

There are cases of a blown head gasket can cause gas in the oil also.... Run the engine for about 10 minutes then pull the oil dip stick. If it's smoking you just may have solved your problem .......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also and very rare a punctured diaphragm on a fuel pump can allow fuel to flow back through the pump into the crankcase via the impulse line.
If you have a fuel pump, pull the impulse line off the pump and see if fuel leaks out.

Gt5002003

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate it. The thing is, the same thing has happened to 2 different engines and 3 different carburetors. But...I believe I may know what happened. I think... I didn't get all the gas drained from the original engine when this first happened. I just put the new carburetor on and only drained the oil one time. And ran the engine which caused it to fail. I had a guy email me saying it took him 8 times to get all the fuel out. Now I've purchased this used engine which I'm thinking had the same carburetor problem because it done the very same thing, flooded so bad gas has went into the oil. So today I took the new carburetor off the old engine that blew and put on the engine I'm using now. This weekend I will keep draining the oil until I get it right. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I've never had anything like this happen and I'm not really a mechanic. Just know what my dad taught me when I was young and what ive learned over the years after that. Thank y'all again and pray for me! This mess is driving me nuts!! Lol

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well leaking fuel pump diaphragm is a logical idea except not likely two engines would have this same problem but possible. Knowing if this is happening when the engine is running OR when it is shut off would help tell the problem.

For your future info - That carb solenoid has nothing what ever to do with stopping gas flow thru the carb, only mostly shuts off flow thru metering jet to help prevent "Äfter Fire."

It is ridiculous to think it takes 8 oil changes to get gas contamination out. One good drain, two at the very most, and the very slight remaining gas will quickly evaporate. I only drain once.

Walt Conner

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
hose in the wrong place?

Gt5002003

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well leaking fuel pump diaphragm is a logical idea except not likely two engines would have this same problem but possible. Knowing if this is happening when the engine is running OR when it is shut off would help tell the problem.

For your future info - That carb solenoid has nothing what ever to do with stopping gas flow thru the carb, only mostly shuts off flow thru metering jet to help prevent "Äfter Fire."

It is ridiculous to think it takes 8 oil changes to get gas contamination out. One good drain, two at the very most, and the very slight remaining gas will quickly evaporate. I only drain once.

Walt Conner

Hi and thanks for your reply. The first time it happened with the original 18.5hp single ohv intek motor it would usually flood on startup. Throwing gas out the muffler. That's when I purchased a brand new carburetor and installed it. Drained the oil and put fresh in. Wife went next door to mow daughters grass. Came back home and I was using it to mow ours when it started stalling and then something inside the motor went into pieces. It shutdown and smoke was coming up from the entire engine. I said oh nooo.....pull the oil dipstick and not a drop in the motor. I could still smell gas on the dipstick though. So I purchased the same type used 15.5 hp. Installed it. There are other issues with this 14 year old mower that's why I didnt want to spend a lot to fix it. Wasn't sure how well it would do. So anyway after installing the motor, fresh oil change. It gave me the dead battery sound just like it did when I had the original motor (sorry I forgot and left that part out). It did that a lot toward the end of the original motor. Battery was fine. I had put knew solenoid when the original motor was on and it fired right up 2 weeks in a row. Then the next week right back to weak battery and clicking on startup. Also the flooding, throwing gas out muffler. So here I am with different engine now. Same weak battery/clicking. I purchased a new starter and battery. It fired right up and ran great. Next day, late evening wife goes to crank it and right back to weak battery sound. But also, can smell lots of gas. Ignition is off and you can hear gas filling the engine and coming out muffler again..... I pull the oil dipstick and guess what....full of gas. So now I went back to old motor, took new carburetor off and put on the 15.5 hp. Have drained the oil and now I'm waiting to get time off work to get it going again and see what happens. My story is kind of all over the place and I apologize for that. Oh and about the guy that said 8 oil changes. Maybe he meant it took him 8 times to get the problem corrected. I wish I still had the email so I could message him but I can't find it. Thank you again, I really appreciate any help I can get.

Gt5002003

Forum Newbie
Threads
hose in the wrong place?

Hi and thanks for your reply. I don't think it's a hose issue. There's only one place to hook the fuel line up to the carburetor and that's the only hose on it. Thanks again!