Ferris is600z vs. Scag Freedom z

tmoats11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a ZTR and I have 1.5 acres to mow. I can't decide between the ferris or the scag both priced about the same. Some feedback of pros and cons of both or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
is600z pros,
Suspension front and rear, a plus if bumpy lawn.
B&S Commercial engine with the Cyclonic /Air Filtration system. I have this engine on my 10 year old Scag Tiger Cub. The air filter can be cleaned by tapping it on a hard object.
Mower deck air flow collection system.
Standard non foldable ROPS. Foldable ROPS is optional. Nice to have a foldable ROPS.
is600v cons,
Collection system doesn't have a blower and relies on mower deck air flow.
Kawasaki FS600V has a fair air filtration system in my opinion, but generally good engines.

Scag FreedomZ pros,
Rugged machine, Scag builds good ZTRs.
Mower deck air flow collection system.
Wider rear tires than the is600v.
Standard non foldable ROPS. Foldable ROPS is optional. Nice to have a foldable ROPS.
Scag FreedomZ cons,
Ridged frame, no suspension, harder riding if bumpy lawn.
Kohler 7000 series engine only, no other engine options. I'm not familiar with the Kohler 7000 series engine, but likely to have a fair air filtration system.
Just my thoughts:2cents::smile:

tmoats11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve heard that people aren’t always happy with the cut quality has anyone else had experience with this

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In general ZTRs are dusty machines, this is why I'm concerned about good engine air filtration.
I'm very pleased with the B&S Commercial series engines that have the Cyclonic Air Filtration System. The filters are a large cylindrical shape and can be easily cleaned by tapping the filter on a hard object. I generally tap the filter on the mower deck guide wheels and the dust falls to the ground. The filter is easily removed and reinstalled.
I repowered my 2008 Scag Tiger Cub in 2012 with a B&S Commercial Turf engine as the original engine had some problems, poor air filtration being one of it's problems. I use a Scag mower deck driven blower 3 bag collection system on this machine about 90% of the time. Very effective collection system by the way. The collection system does increases the dust level around the engine and the reason for a more effective engine air filtration system.
Six years ago I replaced the standard seat with an adjustable suspension seat that I'm very happy with as Scags are ridged frame machines, no suspension.
A few things to keep in mind when deciding which machine to buy.
If you are accustomed to mowing with a lawn or garden tractor, bear in mind that ZTRs are a different breed and require a learning process to go thru!
My Scag Tiger Cub resembles a Tiger Cat more than a Freedom Z.
A few more thoughts from this old man!:smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cut quality of Scag ZTRs is great providing the deck is level and blades are sharp.
Never have operated a newer Ferris for comparison.
Most lawn/garden tractors suspend the mower decks to allow them to conform to the ground surface contours.
Not so with ZTRs as the decks hang from the machine frame and follow the machine movement and not the ground.
This is where the difference is and as one becomes familiar with the characteristics of ZTRs, different mowing patterns will need to be developed to reduce scalping and turf tears during turns.
I mowed semi commercially for years with garden tractors and it was a long learning curve for me with my 1st ZTR.
No control over the front wheels and the possibility of sliding sideways are characteristics of ZTRs, but this can be overcome as one gets more familiar with a ZTR.
I was able to reduce my mowing time from a 3-4 day week to a 2-3 day week with ZTRs once I became accustomed to their characteristics.