1995 Dixon 4422 with Kohler Command CV14-1428

trock1268

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,
New to the sight but found it and figured someone on here will definitely know more than I do. I have two issues one a bit more severe than the other.
I have had a dixon 4422 for a long time and other than the steering going haywire the motor has run perfectly. So I decided to rebuild the transaxle because no shop would touch it. Completed that project! The deck broke shortly after, found a basically new on in ohio, put it on and was ready to mow. Well, when I parked it this winter, it cranked at the turn of a key. When it got time to mow I turned the key and nothing but a click. Put a new ignition switch and solenoid still nothing. So to crank I now have to jump using a metal rod layed across the solenoid. Cranks fine. So, when the deck broke, I ordered the new one and when I pit it on and cranked it it smoked terribly which it has never done, not even a little. But now from one crank up to the next it started smoking terribly. Runs good just smokes. I mean Im running all the mosquitos off in the neighborhood. Questions

1. I picked the front end of the mower up and propped it up while I changed the blades, could lstanding it up on it rear end have caused it to start smoking or is this something else?

2. What else can I check to get the key start to work. As I said earlier, when putting it up for the winter the key start worked fine and while parked it magically stopped working.

Thanks for any help you can provide. This mower and I have kind of got this ongoing thing and now that everything on it is new might as well fix the rest.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes tipping an engine cylinder down can allow the oil to flow past the rings and into the muffler or carb.

Sounds like you need to do some carb work suspect a leaking float valve,
Check the oil level if it is too high the above is confirmed.

Mower wiring 101
Power usually goes from the hot side of the starter soenoid .
1) through a fuse
2) the the B ( = battery) terminal on the ignition switch ( tiny numbers under the switch )
3) to S (= Start) terminal on the switch
4) the the PTO switch or PTO safety switch on manual PTO's
5) to the brake safety switch
6) to the trigger wire on the solenoid.
This is a daisy chain so a break anywhere = no cranking
If the solenoid has only 1 small wire then the ground is via the case which will benefit from a clean where it contacts the body of the mower to get a good contact.

The ignition control can either be on the key switch
M + G = off
or on the throttle plate.
follow the thin wire from the coil
This is a ground wire.
Ground = off
Open circuit = on

rbnjr2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased same model mower and was wondering where you preferred to source your replacement parts from including the blades.

thank you.

rbnjr2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,
New to the sight but found it and figured someone on here will definitely know more than I do. I have two issues one a bit more severe than the other.
I have had a dixon 4422 for a long time and other than the steering going haywire the motor has run perfectly. So I decided to rebuild the transaxle because no shop would touch it. Completed that project! The deck broke shortly after, found a basically new on in ohio, put it on and was ready to mow. Well, when I parked it this winter, it cranked at the turn of a key. When it got time to mow I turned the key and nothing but a click. Put a new ignition switch and solenoid still nothing. So to crank I now have to jump using a metal rod layed across the solenoid. Cranks fine. So, when the deck broke, I ordered the new one and when I pit it on and cranked it it smoked terribly which it has never done, not even a little. But now from one crank up to the next it started smoking terribly. Runs good just smokes. I mean Im running all the mosquitos off in the neighborhood. Questions

1. I picked the front end of the mower up and propped it up while I changed the blades, could lstanding it up on it rear end have caused it to start smoking or is this something else?

2. What else can I check to get the key start to work. As I said earlier, when putting it up for the winter the key start worked fine and while parked it magically stopped working.

Thanks for any help you can provide. This mower and I have kind of got this ongoing thing and now that everything on it is new might as well fix the rest.
I just picked up one Dixon 4422 as its a different style of drive and the motor is pretty strong. anywhere else i can find general information about this oddball?