Chain not getting oil in operation

mikec711

Forum Newbie
Threads
May be one of several issues ... my Stihl 009 was originally purchased after Hurricane Fran in 1996. It has run well ... but been used only sporadically in the last 22 years. It now runs well, but the chain seems to get no oil even though there is plenty of chain oil in the saw. I opened up the saw and cleaned out all I could ... interestingly, I forgot to replace the screws on the inside where the oil went in ... and as I was picking it up ... oil was leaking out. So I put the screws back in ... put it back together ... and the oil leak stopped. But as I try to use the saw ... the chain seems to get no oil and I might as well be cutting w/a butter knife. Any thoughts on why the oil would stop feeding to the chain?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
May be one of several issues ... my Stihl 009 was originally purchased after Hurricane Fran in 1996. It has run well ... but been used only sporadically in the last 22 years. It now runs well, but the chain seems to get no oil even though there is plenty of chain oil in the saw. I opened up the saw and cleaned out all I could ... interestingly, I forgot to replace the screws on the inside where the oil went in ... and as I was picking it up ... oil was leaking out. So I put the screws back in ... put it back together ... and the oil leak stopped. But as I try to use the saw ... the chain seems to get no oil and I might as well be cutting w/a butter knife. Any thoughts on why the oil would stop feeding to the chain?

Trouble shooting page from STIHL Manual ...

009 STIHL OILER.JPG ........ click to enlarge ..click again, to enlarge more

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are the oil passages on the bar clear?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the end of the oil pick up is a filter which can also get clogged.
The drive gear for the pump can also get messed up.
Worth replacing the pump.

mikec711

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trouble shooting page from STIHL Manual ...

View attachment 40843 ........ click to enlarge ..click again, to enlarge more

Thanks for the info. I found the manual online and am working thru the info. Seems I was on the right track ... but I will try to get deeper into that assembly.

mikec711

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the end of the oil pick up is a filter which can also get clogged.
The drive gear for the pump can also get messed up.
Worth replacing the pump.

Now that I've found the manual ... I will definitely check this out.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the info. I found the manual online and am working thru the info. Seems I was on the right track ... but I will try to get deeper into that assembly.

Life is much easier with the manual, THANKS for your up-date, let us know if you solve your issue Mike .. :thumbsup: