CV25S Breather operation - reed valve?

EmeraldCity

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1997 Craftsman 917.258920 with a 25HP Kohler CV25S. I replaced the head gasket and am having oil coming back through the fuel pump and valve cover breather. I order P/N 24 033 03-S which according to the Manual is the Kit, Breather Cover w/Gasket. But it does not have a reed valve. I don't see that as a separate part number to order. Can anyone advise how I can get a new reed valve or what part number it is?

Thanks,
Rich
Maple Valley, WA

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without knowing the spec number of your engine I am only guesses, but the reed may be located in the cavity between the pushrods in the engine block. It also appears there may be two of them, one in each cylinder. The reed part number and diagram is part of the crankcase diagram if that helps.

EmeraldCity

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. ILengine for the reply. the Kohler engine is Model CV25S, Type 69511. The part assembly I ordered came from the Crankcase and Cylinder Head diagram. It shows only one Breather Assembly and does not clearly show the location, but I'm thinking it is between the two cylinders behind the exhaust manifold. Just surprised to order that assembly and find no reed valve as part of it. Since I suspect that is my problem, I'm unsure how to get a new reed valve (since it is not listed separately in the diagram). Kit came with the beautiful aluminum breather cover and gasket, though!

Rich

EmeraldCity

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, again, ILengine! Before I break open the engine again, I'll be sure to order new reed valves - just in case.

I'd like to give acknowledgement to Sawil (sp?) at OPE Engines of Salem, Oregon (TEL: 888-652-3990). He advises they have rebuilt hundreds of the Kohler CV25S (of many Spec varieties) and almost none of them had a defective reed valve. He suspects the new head gasket was improperly torqued. I hate to hear this because the bolts were torqued according to the spec we had. He advised it has to be done in two stages - 150 pounds per square inch the first time, then 300 pounds per square inch the second time. I'm pretty sure I tightened it to 25-30 foot pounds of torque, and only one time. Hard to believe that is the problem, but I guess I've got to be prepared for that eventuality. This will be the THIRD time I'll have installed new head gaskets. I'm about to give up. I love this machine - it's such a beast and simply will not get stuck. I even sanded it down and gave it a new paint job. It looks great. I just wish I could get the oil being pushed out under control.

Rich
Maple Valley, WA

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reed valve failure is rare. The cv25 does have issues with blown head gaskets. Later versions came out with a fire ring around the the cylinder part of the head gasket, which seemed to eliminate the issue. I could see a repeat of a head gasket if it was ran for several hours or even months before failing again. If it failed immediately I would be looking at either a warped head, or warped block.