Missing brake spring. Can I substitute it?

itsgalf

Threads
So I've got a Yardman 11A-54MB055 pushmower in a pile of non-working mowers that a guy was hoarding in his backyard. Lots of crud all over it, left out behind his shed.

Apparently it's a MTD 1P65 engine - looks a whole lot like a Kohler Engine on my Lawnboy. I cleaned it all up of the crud, cleaned the carb (wasn't that bad), bought a new air filter and spark plug, gave it some new 30W oil. It started right up after that surprisingly. However, the brake release cable (or zone control cable) is broken and the brake return spring is missing. So I can start it, but to stop it I have to manually push the brake assembly to activate the kill.

I don't really want to spend too much money on this thing, looking to make a little profit at least. The part breakdown only lists the entire brake assembly for roughly ~$24. Then a new cable is around ~$30. Something like that. I don't want to get a new brake assembly. Is it possible to just buy a B&S spring for $5 and use that instead? Any experience with this?

Thanks
- Marco

Threads
Hey Mon Ami Is the spring made into the cable ???? The older L head classics the spring is seperate also the older L head 6 HP to 6.75 HP.....

Shoot a picture up for us ......

Threads
Oh wow that is a MTD engine they have their own brand now.... Yes try a briggs spring 1 of the 2 I mentioned before....

If not then try a predator spring or Honda....... I don't have parts for those MTD newer engines sorry......

Let us Know Mon Ami ~!~!

itsgalf

Threads
IMG_20181004_151451064.jpg

I think the B&S Spring from a 6.75 will work. Probably a little stiffer than the original. Once I get the new cable I'll see how it feels
Also tried a Honda GCV160 Spring on it (seen sitting on top of the engine in the picture), but probably not as good a fit

itsgalf

Threads
Got the new cable installed. I'd say the B&S spring works well enough. No issues.

$24?? Pffftt