Decisions Decisions

GMJim

Threads
Hello all! First post here and hoping I can get some help on what to buy. I've been doing a lot of reading and can't make a decision. This will be my first riding mower. I've had JD snow blowers and really like the quality but while searching for a riding mower I had my sights set on a JD S240 until I saw one in person and compared to the Cub Cadet XT2-LX46. I want the JD but the CC seems to be a better built machine and though price is a secondary consideration, it's a lot less money. What had me baffled was the battery tie down on the JD. A zip tie! Really??? What else did they cheap out on? They both have a Kawasaki engine. The JD an 18.5 HP and the CC a 21.5 HP engine. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy the Cub other than JD loyalty? I only have 1/2 an acre and don't need a bigger machine.
Thanks for the help!
Jim

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all! First post here and hoping I can get some help on what to buy. I've been doing a lot of reading and can't make a decision. This will be my first riding mower. I've had JD snow blowers and really like the quality but while searching for a riding mower I had my sights set on a JD S240 until I saw one in person and compared to the Cub Cadet XT2-LX46. I want the JD but the CC seems to be a better built machine and though price is a secondary consideration, it's a lot less money. What had me baffled was the battery tie down on the JD. A zip tie! Really??? What else did they cheap out on? They both have a Kawasaki engine. The JD an 18.5 HP and the CC a 21.5 HP engine. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy the Cub other than JD loyalty? I only have 1/2 an acre and don't need a bigger machine.
Thanks for the help!
Jim

Reading your post...sounds to me like you have made up your mind.

Threads
I actually found the tie wraps easier to handle than my Craftsman with the wingnuts. Just stick something sharp and pointy in the open end of the tie wrap and it will come undone. In the spring just snug it back up.
I like the look of the Cub cadet as well and actually chose that over the JD but by the time I got to the counter to pay the guy came up apologizing that the one I was buying had already been sold. They sold me the JD for the same price as the CC. This was at Home Depot.
Quite satisfied with it so far with 54 hrs on it.

GMJim

Threads
Reading your post...sounds to me like you have made up your mind.

I might be leaning in that direction but was hoping someone with more knowledge about these machines than I have would enlighten me. I'm a JD fan boy but........

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't offer much about the brands or 18.5 Kaw, but the 21.5 (651V) I have in my over 4 year old Toro, & That engine is a beast.

GMJim

Threads
Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons I was considering the CC was because of the bigger engine. My yard is very bumpy and I want to pull a roller around. The sales guy at the JD dealer said I could do that with the S240 but it would have to be a small roller. How small I asked and he said 36 inch????? Maybe? He didn't seem too confident about his answer. I'm not in a hurry and will do more research before I buy.
Thanks