Weight limit on non commercial mowers?

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I am seeing a lot of online complaints about failed hydro transmissions, and also some axle problems. What's the weight limit on most homeowner mowers? I am thinking that they are not made for guys the size or weight of NFL linemen. That's a lot of strain on the transmission and rear axles if the design load of the machine is 225 pounds and the operator weighs 325, especially if it's used on bumpy grounds. Commercial grade machines can probably take that just fine. I haven't seen any manuals that address an operator weight limit.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The weight of the machine times .5.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting formula. Thanks BlazNT
[h=3][/h]

John Fitzgerald

Threads
That would mean about 150 pounds on the smaller lawn tractors and rear engine riders.

Lawn Addict
Threads
IDK about them, but my Toro Z weighs a mere 520, so 520 x .5 = 260 lbs for operator.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
IDK about them, but my Toro Z weighs a mere 520, so 520 x .5 = 260 lbs for operator.

It's probably for operator, fuel, and oil. The mower weight published is likely dry weight. So, subtract about 40 pounds from the operator weight to allow for fuel and oil.

Threads
A few friends of mine weigh 300 or more and they have no issues with their mowers. Now one guy runs his tires flat and puts his deck all the way down.... He throws his deck belt about 2 times a month........

I told him tooooo many times to have the tires fixed, but he won't listen..... So we told him ther will be a charge for every time we go there now to put his belt on and air up his tires......

Running flat tires and the deck low is not a good recipe for a mower.................

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am seeing a lot of online complaints about failed hydro transmissions, and also some axle problems. What's the weight limit on most homeowner mowers? I am thinking that they are not made for guys the size or weight of NFL linemen. That's a lot of strain on the transmission and rear axles if the design load of the machine is 225 pounds and the operator weighs 325, especially if it's used on bumpy grounds. Commercial grade machines can probably take that just fine. I haven't seen any manuals that address an operator weight limit.

To get a real answer you need to know what the trannie is then go to the trannie maker website and look at the max load for that trannie.
For a tractor style it will be the max load on the trannie and for a ZTR it will be twice the load cause there are two of them

Lawn Addict
Threads
To get a real answer you need to know what the trannie is then go to the trannie maker website and look at the max load for that trannie.
For a tractor style it will be the max load on the trannie and for a ZTR it will be twice the load cause there are two of them

Bert- I agree with you about the Z mowers. (x 2) ........ Toro even stated max is about weight of the machine.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I think the rear axle strength and stiffness would be more of a limitation on both the ZTRs and LTs. Would a 300 lb person sitting on a 450 pound machine riding on bumpy ground possibly damage the axles? Some of them look to be only 3/4 inch round stock.